Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback from a windows user

Beans

Exclamation Feedback from a windows user

Hi everyone,

This is a feedback based on a subjective view. Ubuntu is the first Linux OS I used in my life and windows users are NOT used the command prompt and are lazy and want 1-2 clicks how tos. But, one month in Ubuntu made me love it. It is surprisingly more user friendly than most people think and recommend it to all "Wanna stop hacking windowsers".

The one problem is how the old timers give explanations and try to help people with step by step command by command to fix one problem that will lead to another problem. Usually, most of my questions have been solved by 1-2 clicks. Drivers, Wine and other software.

My prime example of this problem: My laptop is n61jq, when 1st installed, dual screening wasnt working properly and looked in google for answers to the problem. Following these researches, installing proprietary drivers the system was always crashing and when I finally got it to work after a few reinstall, I was stuck with all the apps telling me that they didnt support my card because obviously, they thought my card was older. I havent been able to fix it. Until I found out that Ubuntu can update your drivers with one click to latest proprietary drivers taking care of everything else. That made me cry, so much hours and how tos tried for nothing.

Another example: Symbian links, everywhere I looked over the internet was telling us to use commands to create the link. I never got it to appear where I wanted. Until I found that right-clicking a file then "make link" then move the link to whatever folder I wanted it to go.

Those two examples are from tens of problems I encountered using Ubuntu, all solved with a few clicks. The only one I got to use commands was for Netflix Desktop.

Suggestion to old timers: try to put yourself at the newcomers' place when we have an issue. Don't crave on giving command lines to put in terminal when the the OS provides the 1 click solution that just doesnt popup in the face.

Suggestion to newcomers, think twice before entering command lines blindly, most of the time the solution is somewhere hidden in front of you.

Best regards to everyone.

Re: Feedback from a windows user

Suggestion to old timers: try to put yourself at the newcomers' place when we have an issue. Don't crave on giving command lines to put in terminal when the the OS provides the 1 click solution that just doesnt popup in the face.
    +1. For a newcomer, point and click is less intimidating.

Suggestion to newcomers, think twice before entering command lines blindly, most of the time the solution is somewhere hidden in front of you.
    Copy and paste is the easiest way to input a command.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The problem with giving a "one click" answer is that the "one click" needed to solve the problem will vary a lot depending on the version of ubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, or lubuntu that is being run by the questioner.

If an answer is given in command line manner, it will be the same whatever version of whichever of the ubuntu family you are using, so whilst I have some sympathy with your request, you, like many posters, do not say what your OS actually is, so it would be difficult to give you a simple "one click" answer; it would have to be many different answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I personally find gui's available for most of the stuff I do on a day to day basis.

However, in support forums and threads, help is easier by giving advice using the cli.

It's easier to write out, open terminal and put X-command, than it is writing out five lines of open X go to Y open Y find S go to X again, and then close Y now open C. Which tends to fall part when the problem having OP tells you they're running a different desktop.

And for the most part, commands are useful no matter the desktop, or lack thereof.

Eventually you'll find using the terminal not as a need but as a want.
    You can do things quickly, in and out, using cli.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PureLaine View Post
    Suggestion to old timers: try to put yourself at the newcomers' place when we have an issue.
    Of course we do, or try to. You've seen this already from the other answers, but here it is again: CLI is the lowest common denominator of interfaces. It's going to work the same (or mostly the same) across all flavors of Ubuntu; whereas GUI instructions depend on which environment both the one asking for help and the one providing it are using.

Think of it as a tool, one of many available to all users. In my opinion, one's experience of Linux, no matter which GUI you use, can be improved by having some understanding of terminal commands--particularly when troubleshooting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree with copy/paste working across GUI and distro. There is one HUGE caution about copy/paste though. Use caution about the source of the commands. Here is a recent thread about using a special technique to copy/paste more than the user knows or expects.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=span

It could be used to install malware. Any toxic commands will be dealt with swiftly once found here or at askubuntu.com. The same might not be true at other sites.

Beans

...and looked in google for answers to the problem...
    This was your biggest mistake. Google is a search engine that blindly returns the most popular/relevant pages for your search terms. There is no guarantee that the pages Google finds will be accurate, helpful, or trustworthy in any way.

Rather, I recommend you use the following trustworthy resources:

http://help.ubuntu.com
    http://wiki.ubuntu.com

If you follow trusted, official tutorials/how-to's, then you will have a pleasant Ubuntu experience. If you follow random advice from some random guy's blog, then you are rolling the dice.

If you are thinking of doing something to your computer, but aren't quite sure what to do, then post a thread here on http://ubuntuforums.org and wait 24-48 hours. Don't just blindly follow the first answer (there is no IQ test to post on ubuntuforums ) but rather give the experts some time weigh in, and then choose the solution that seems most sensible. Here is some advice how to ask questions in such a way to get the best answers:

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Finally, here is the only unofficial Ubuntu tutorial site that I strongly and enthusiastically recommend:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

As for GUI vs. CLI, remember that we do not have the power to come through the internet and wiggle your mouse. But we can give you terminal commands that you can copy & paste. If I tell you "scroll here, click there, check this box, click the blue button" etc. then there is a risk my instructions will be ambiguous, or you will have a different graphical environment/skin/theme, and therefore you will get an unpredictable result, but I I tell you "copy & paste the following command into the terminal" then we can be reasonably confident of the outcome. Furthermore, I do not use Unity (Ubuntu's default desktop environment) so if I am not allowed to give CLI solutions, then I no longer share my experience (5 years and 7,500 posts on these forums) with Ubuntu users.
    Last edited by snowpine; April 26th, 2013 at 02:13 AM.

Beans

Yeah cli can be intimidating, but when most command line solutions work its really a non issue.

Beans

Another example: Symbian links, everywhere I looked over the internet was telling us to use commands to create the link. I never got it to appear where I wanted. Until I found that right-clicking a file then "make link" then move the link to whatever folder I wanted it to go.
    I think you mean "symbolic link" here. Symbian is an old phone OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The biggest problem is mindset, Windows users are used to doing things a certain way, that may just not work when using a Linux distribution. As easy as using Ubuntu and it's derivatives have come to be, there is still a bit of a learning curve, as we do things differently.

The one main difference is not having to download and install programs from random web sites, almost everything you need is available via the Software Centre, some of the packages may be a bit dated, but updated version are almost always available via ppa's (personal package archives) on Launchpad.

The above paragraph may seem to you to be just techno-babble, but as you learn to use Ubuntu, you will find that things are much easier to do than the equivalent in Windows.

Disclaimer I stopped supporting Windows systems about a year ago, and have probably forgotten more than most people have ever learned about Windows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast