Thread: setting a wired connection?

Beans

setting a wired connection?

hello guys, I'm new here, and I just installed lubuntu on my pc, and I tried to connect to the internet, and I didn't know which to choose (Wired, VPN, or DSL) and how to set up my connection? please someone help out

Beans

Re: setting a wired connection?

Hello and welcome

What kind of internet connection do you have (DSL? Cable?). Do you have a router or just a modem?

If you have a regular home router then you shouldn't need to do anything - the system should create and use a default wired connection (called something like 'Wired Connection 1') which will get everything it needs from the router via DHCP - you should only need to edit it if you want to do something more complicated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.

Beans

I have a router, but there must be something wrong with it, I tried to put the same cable into my laptop (Windows is on it), and there isn't any sign of connection :S have to call those jerks from the company to fix it or something -.-
    But anyway, thanks a lot you guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Man, this should work out of the box. Navigate down to the LXPanel and click on the network icon. Make sure that the enable networking and enable wireless boxes are checked.

Disregard the instructions about wireless. I got ahead of myself. You are operating a wired connection.
    Last edited by Rex Bouwense; April 25th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Distro

Whoever installed your internet, gave you a router. All that you have to do is plug an ethernet cable into it and the other end into your computer. Like I said, it should work out of the box. If it doesn't,
    1. you may have a bad port. There should be multiple ports on the router. Try each one
    2. you may have a bad ethernet cable - try another cable
    3. you have a bad router - call your internet provider to get a new one.

What I talked about in my previous post was checking the network icon to ensure that networking is enabled.

Please don't PM for solutions to problems. Everyone should benefit from conversations about problems with the Operating Systems.
    Rex

Beans

thanks for the help, and sorry, I just thought that my question was too "beginner-y" to ask, that's all

Beans
    Distro

I learned early that there is no such thing as a stupid question (unless it is not asked.) I spent almost a year merely reading the forums to learn about Ubuntu before I registered and logged in for the first time. I learned from other people that is why all questions should be hashed out in the forums. Other people will benefit. Also, post back when you solve the problem to mark your thread solved. Good luck.
    Rex

Beans

Fair enough
    And I will do that when this is solved