I always thought that was the beer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu.com redesign

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I always thought that was the beer
    Off-topic: That'd be a cool/fizzy feeling - unless you prefer warm beer.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Were they a waste if they helped someone solve a problem? I have a great deal of respect/admiration for those who can/will help others solve problems - just for the warm/fuzzy feeling.
    I can and have been. Although not so much lately as I have mostly moved on from Ubuntu. I no longer use the OS except occasionally when I break out the old laptop, and the times I do that isn't enough to help people so much on these forums. Sure, I can still throw some generic command out for the person, but I mostly use ubuntuforums for its other OS and Offtopic areas. On other forums, I help people, because I am using that certain OS. Those times I helped were a waste of time in regards to that the community is now neglected by the now knee-deep-in-enterprise Ubuntu. In a way saying that all of the efforts that I and other members took to help people is not worthy of being noticed unless you want to scroll a bunch. It is not the Canonical site, it is the Ubuntu OS site.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here's a probably silly analogy: If we think of Ubuntu as a device being launched into outer space, various components are jettisoned as flight proceeds.

As long as the people who contribute to the development of the components to be jettisoned understand what their role is (or was) there shouldn't be any ill-will.

That's why it's important for a person whose job is to "manage" the community, if the title is to be taken literally, to do a thorough job of explaining even patently obvious matters patiently and politely and honestly (without meaning to imply any deliberate attempts to mislead anyone by anyone).

I fully understand that the role of the "community" will change over time and, as opportunities present themselves, "course adjustments" will be needed.

To my mind, just because something is on ubuntu.com doesn't automatically make it "community-owned".
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Were they a waste if they helped someone solve a problem? I have a great deal of respect/admiration for those who can/will help others solve problems - just for the warm/fuzzy feeling.
    I agree. It wasn't a waste of time for all of the people who needed help and you helped them out of a stressful situation. I'm sure all of the people who are getting help appreciate it, even if it seems like Canonical doesn't see our importance.

It would be interesting to see the repercussions if this forum were to suddenly go down permanently.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Ask Ubuntu seems to be a more Canonical-approved site. UF seems to sort of seem like a rock in the path for Canonical.
    CrunchBang Linux
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    Ask Ubuntu seems to be a more Canonical-approved site. UF seems to sort of seem like a rock in the path for Canonical.
    We're the thing they wish would just go away but won't.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

^ Exactly.
    CrunchBang Linux

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123