Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed by Ubuntu 12.10 just like windows 8

Beans

Unhappy Disappointed by Ubuntu 12.10 just like windows 8

Ubuntu is also like windows 8 now. I just installed and tried ubuntu and found out there is no start menu. just a big dash home button. I thought microsoft is dead with windows 8 with their ugly start screen, and now it seems like same thing with ubuntu. People everywhere on the internet are talking about moving to linux from windows 8 but its better to stick with windows 7 until 2020.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Disappointed by Ubuntu 12.10 just like windows 8

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Fortunately you're not the first with that thought.

Luckily for us there's more than one way to skin a cat - if you look about you might find there are other desktop environments available.

Beans

Try kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Fortunately you're not the first with that thought.

Luckily for us there's more than one way to skin a cat - if you look about you might find there are other desktop environments available.
    +1

Unlike windows 8, we have at our disposal, a large cache of desktop choices.

If the simplicity of Unity doesn't fit your mood, nothing is stopping you from changing it out.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

If you want get something that resembles windows, you can get Zorin OS or install these desktop environments:

Lubuntu Desktop(LXDE spin)
    LXDE
    KDE

However, you probably will not get a windows styling of the start menu but you will get a start menu.

By the way, another thing I should point out is that for these Desktop Environments you will not be able to use the windows key to open the start menu.

Beans

Yes there was a mass migration away from the big fat Dash. Many went to Mint. I landed on Kubuntu. Where you still get the benefits of Ubuntu quality.

But users moving to different distros is not the solution for Ubuntu. It has not benefited. A few tweaks and we could all come back.
    Fix the Dash, like Windows is doing, by finally reinstating the Start menu. You will be able to put anything 'you' like on it. It is 'your' start menu. You will not need to go to the keyboard to search "every time" for them. And it gets out of your way when you are working unlike the Unity launcher.
    Last edited by ianp5a; April 25th, 2013 at 08:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by saud View Post
    Ubuntu is also like windows 8 now. I just installed and tried ubuntu and found out there is no start menu. just a big dash home button. I thought microsoft is dead with windows 8 with their ugly start screen, and now it seems like same thing with ubuntu. People everywhere on the internet are talking about moving to linux from windows 8 but its better to stick with windows 7 until 2020.
    You don't want to use an operating system just because it has a graphical applications menu instead of a textual one, no matter how good the rest of it is?

Your loss.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Clearly Microsoft think there is more to it than being a graphical or textual difference.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post
    Yes there was a mass migration away from the big fat Dash. Many went to Mint. I landed on Kubuntu. Where you still get the benefits of Ubuntu quality.

But users moving to different distros is not the solution for Ubuntu. It has not benefited. A few tweaks and we could all come back.
    Fix the Dash, like Windows is doing, by finally reinstating the Start menu. You will be able to put anything 'you' like on it. It is 'your' start menu. You will not need to go to the keyboard to search "every time" for them. And it gets out of your way when you are working unlike the Unity launcher.
    I don't miss the "start menu", the dash is so much faster and more convenient. In fact if I use other distros Unity is one of the things I miss about Ubuntu ( I also like gnome-shell, and you can add a start menu addon, but I realize that I never use it)

You can install a menu in Unity, though I don't really see the point (just like I can't see the point to use one in Gnome-Shell)

https://launchpad.net/~diesch/+archive/testing

P.S. I did try Kubuntu on a separate partition, but I much prefer the dash to the menu.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post

I don't miss the "start menu" (and I do hate the Mint menu to try to look like XP), the dash is so much faster and more convenient. In fact when I use other distros Unity is one of the things I miss about Ubuntu ( I also like gnome-shell, and you can add a pretty menu with an addon, but I realize that I never use it)

You can install a gnome2 style classic menu on Unity, though I don't really see the point (just like I can't see the point to use one in Gnome-Shell)

https://launchpad.net/~diesch/+archive/testing

P.S. I did try Kubuntu on a separate partition, but I much prefer the dash to the menu.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 25th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast