Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Support

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 Support

I have heard that Ubuntu 13.04 is only going to be supported for 9 months, and that Raring's support is ending before 12.10's support ends. So, is it worth upgrading to 13.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Support?????????

Only if you want to use cutting edge software otherwise you should be using 12.04 LTS.
    I'm going to install it because it has a speed improvement over the 12.10 that I'm using now.
    The dash is quite slow to appear at the moment, even though this is a reasonably powerful laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So, is it worth upgrading to 13.04?
    Why not?
    Raring's an excellent distro.

And besides, I've never run a non-LTS release to full term, I usually upgrade within a month of the release.

So nine months means it'll have support for about two months longer than I would need.

And if 13.10 is a stinker you can always reinstall precise, or even quantal till 14.04 comes along.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Only if you want to use cutting edge software otherwise you should be using 12.04 LTS.
    I'm going to install it because it has a speed improvement over the 12.10 that I'm using now.
    The dash is quite slow to appear at the moment, even though this is a reasonably powerful laptop.
    I don't see a reason to upgrade from 12.04. My main computer is powerful enough that the Dash is quick, and everything on it is running fine. My netbook is a little slow and could do with a faster Dash, but I don't use it often, and these days I can't really be bothered to upgrade every six/nine months anymore.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Support

Something I'd like to share but I don't feel the need for a new thread.
    I downloaded - via torrent - the ISO of Ubuntu 13. I "burnt" the iso on a USB stick using Unetbootin and rebooted my computer. I performed a full installation, I formated the HD and all. The installation was smooth and nothing unusual happened. After install was done, it said I should reboot my computer and so did I. When I saw the login screen for the very first time, it was already frozen. I couldn't see my mouser pointer moving on Ubuntu 13 yet. It's just frozen on login screen, mouse won't move, keyboard won't answer. I am not superstitious but this has to mean something...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

this has to mean something
    It means that the proprietary video drivers were installed because you accepted to install third party software. Try it again and install third party software after installation.

these days I can't really be bothered to upgrade every six/nine months anymore.
    That is as good a reason as any for sticking to an LTS release. And there is nothing wrong with that. So, from now on, if anyone wants "stable" then install the LTS. If they want "bleeding edge" install the development branch.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It means that the proprietary video drivers were installed because you accepted to install third party software. Try it again and install third party software after installation.

That is as good a reason as any for sticking to an LTS release. And there is nothing wrong with that. So, from now on, if anyone wants "stable" then install the LTS. If they want "bleeding edge" install the development branch.

Regards.
    I'll try it again. Thanks.

Beans

Consider that upgrading from 12.10 to 14.04 directly probably won't be supported. You'll either have to reinstall from scratch, or upgrade through the intermediate releases. Upgrading from 12.04 or 13.10 to 14.04 will be supported. So basically, if you're on 12.10 and don't want to reinstall when 14.04 comes along, I'd upgrade.

Of course, I'd upgrade anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Consider that upgrading from 12.10 to 14.04 directly probably won't be supported. You'll either have to reinstall from scratch, or upgrade through the intermediate releases. Upgrading from 12.04 or 13.10 to 14.04 will be supported. So basically, if you're on 12.10 and don't want to reinstall when 14.04 comes along, I'd upgrade.

Of course, I'd upgrade anyway.
    Actually that was the often ignored/little talked about decision the technical board made when it's release changes vote

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/03/19/...chnical-board/

Read the "other discussions"

I personally think this might be the most significant decision they made.
    As users will be able to upgrade from 12.10 to 14.04 directly.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Actually that was the often ignored/little talked about decision the technical board made when it's release changes vote

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/03/19/...chnical-board/

Read the "other discussions"

I personally think this might be the most significant decision they made.
    As users will be able to upgrade from 12.10 to 14.04 directly.
    Well, hey, that's good to hear. Not that it will keep me from upgrading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast