Hi I have a recently (brand new) installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 64 bit PC. I can browse web, open documents, etc, UNTIL I run updates.
I run the update manager and apply the updates, then the system needs a reboot.
The system still boots OK. However it will hang after about 5 mins after logging in.
If I don't login, it will happily wait at the login screen indefinitely; it's only after login that the system hangs.
- Mouse pointer still moves around, everything else hangs, screen is totally unresponsive except for mouse pointer.
- Nothing else has been installed, simply off the CD (and USB) and then applied updates.
- Tried installing both from USB and CD, no difference
- Confirmed md5 sums on the downloaded ISO are A-OK (also tested the CD for defects before installing).
- No fancy partitioning, just straight defaults
- Motherboard is an Asustek P8P67
- CPU is Intel G550 at 2.60GHz
- Graphics card appears to be the Intel on board H61 thing (no additional separate graphics card).
- 4 GB RAM
- I also tried Xubuntu, I get exactly the same symptoms: Install all is well, then run updates, updates all work fine, reboot system, login, then hangs.
- I tried turning off all updates except required security updates, still get this behaviour.
- Tried turning off desktop compositing, no difference to the behaviour, it still hangs after updates.
- Installed Ubuntu Server (is a non GUI of course!) 12.04.2 LTS 64 bit, all fine, updates all fine, everything works OK. So most likely the issue is GUI related!
My research points to similar behaviour being related to buggy nvidea video drivers, but as I have no fancy cards, just using vanilla Intel H61 on board video, I don't think that applies in this case (I can't change the 3rd party drivers as none are in use).
Please help with any advice, or how I might track/debug what is causing this.