Thread: Do you know how to get the MIDDLE button to PASTE like it did before?

Beans

Do you know how to get the MIDDLE button to PASTE like it did before?

I tried to find this setting, I know it's there somewhere.

If you don't know what I am talking about, I used to be able to hit the middle button (or click left and right buttons together) to PASTE from the second clipboard.

Yes, there used to be TWO clipboards, one you select from a menu as "copy" or "paste" and one where you select something by left clicking and dragging the mouse and selecting text from ANYTHING, then you can paste that with the middle click.

What happened in 12.04 that took it out? I use it all the time, if you never used it you should try it because it saves a lot of time!

Thanks for any help.

Kubuntu with 12.04 install and now using the "Trinity Desktop" from http://www.trinitydesktop.org/ it's great, check it out!

Beans

Re: Do you know how to get the MIDDLE button to PASTE like it did before?

I think this is a function of the desktop, so perhaps installing trinity broke this for you?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hkphooey View Post
    I think this is a function of the desktop, so perhaps installing trinity broke this for you?
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Does it work for you? I'm not sure if they decided to take that feature out because it was confusing people. I hope not because it's a super time saver.

Same problem on the default KDE that came with the Kubuntu install which may be a clue.

Is there a low level mouse driver that sits below the desktop and has settings for this? How do I get to that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thumbs up Re: Do you know how to get the MIDDLE button to PASTE like it did before?

I have always dreamed of multiple "clipboards".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

works on my kubuntu 13.04 live usb
    i use that feature all the time, i use xubuntu myself
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Guess what I found!

"Author: Peter Hutterer <email address hidden>" ..... "Disable the feature by default instead. There's not a lot of two-button mice around anymore"

"Bryce Harrington" .... "2-button mice do not seem to be very common"

COMPLETELY STUPID ASSUMPTION! These guys win an award! And although I appreciate the developers and everything they do, this attitude of "everyone is like me and buys all new stuff every year" or "everyone has a super high speed connection and so I can make HUGE files and it doesn't matter" or "everyone has a perfect internet connection so you don't have to bother with download retries" is the big problem with Linux in general.

These guys need to learn to ASK THE COMMUNITY before making big changes like that !!!!!! Not everyone lives like you do!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ev/+bug/710762

The fix is to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf <<< BUT THERE IS NONE IN 12.04 !!! It's just not there WHY ???

Another suggestion is to install:

sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings

Run it from a terminal and select "Middle Button Emulation".

THAT WORKS! I don't know what it does exactly but it works perfectly now and I didn't even have to log in again.

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE !!

And developers: WHY ??????? Stop screwing things up !

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by fixitdude View Post
    What happened in 12.04 that took it out? I use it all the time, if you never used it you should try it because it saves a lot of time!
    I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 and it definitely works...in fact it's a bit of a pain sometimes, I keep accidentally pasting as I scroll up the page.

This link covers disabling the middle scroll wheel button, I use it when it's frustrating me. The same process should work in reverse to re-enable it!

Feathers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks, I never knew that existed. I just tried it in ubuntu 12.04 and it works. Cool, two clipboards. Not sure I'll use it much, but I'll try to remember it's there.
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by fixitdude View Post
    Yes, there used to be TWO clipboards, one you select from a menu as "copy" or "paste" and one where you select something by left clicking and dragging the mouse and selecting text from ANYTHING, then you can paste that with the middle click.
    O crap. I knew there was a second, but I thought that was used when you selected everything, and then copied. I didn't know you just have to select.

I know this isn't helping you, but I like it. Still works with openbox, so thanks.
    "Endure, and through enduring grow stronger."