Thread: XAMMP / Wordpress

Beans

XAMMP / Wordpress

I'm having a little issue with running a web server on 12.10. I installed xampp which went smoothly and then I installed wordpress which was also without problem. Now when I go to the site on my local network, it works just fine. When I try to access it remotely. I have port 80 forwarded in my router and I have shorewall installed as a firewall with ports 80 and 22 allowed through.

in chrome: it downloads a file named 'download' with nothing in it

in ie8 it just gives a blank page.

Any help or nudges in the right direction would be appreciated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: XAMMP / Wordpress

you need to set your IP in settings --> general of wordpress (as it's domain).

if this doesn't work you will need to use other options to "hard code" the IP address.

here is how to hardcode the change in: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Use LAMP

Quote Originally Posted by TRUBored View Post
    Any help or nudges in the right direction would be appreciated
    You'd also be better off uninstalling the third-party XAMPP and using the packages that come with Ubuntu. perl, for that matter, is already installed and XAMPP just gives you and extra copy. As for the other tools, if you use the packages that come with Ubuntu, they will end up in the right directories instead of non-standard locations. They will also be able to take advantage of automated security updates and notices rather than having to seek out updates and manually install them. XAMPP may be a leg up for Window users, but it is the hardest most tedious way of doing things in Linux.

You can install Apache, PHP5, and MySQL individually from either the software center, synaptic or apt-get. There is a meta-package for the whole LAMP stack, too.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lamp-server^
    The caret (^) is important.

Beans

Re: Use LAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    You'd also be better off uninstalling the third-party XAMPP and using the packages that come with Ubuntu. perl, for that matter, is already installed and XAMPP just gives you and extra copy. As for the other tools, if you use the packages that come with Ubuntu, they will end up in the right directories instead of non-standard locations. They will also be able to take advantage of automated security updates and notices rather than having to seek out updates and manually install them. XAMPP may be a leg up for Window users, but it is the hardest most tedious way of doing things in Linux.

You can install Apache, PHP5, and MySQL individually from either the software center, synaptic or apt-get. There is a meta-package for the whole LAMP stack, too.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lamp-server^
    The caret (^) is important.
    I'll give it a shot when I get home later, thanks

Beans

Re: Use LAMP

Quote Originally Posted by TRUBored View Post
    I'll give it a shot when I get home later, thanks

Uninstalled XAMPP
    installed the lamp package as you described
    went into mysql and created a dbase and a user for wordpress
    installed wordpress, everything works ok on my local network even when using my web address

still getting the same results as before.

Would having the box as a VM on an esxi 5 host be an issue here? even if it were why can i access perfectly through my local network? surely that means that port 80 is open on my VM and is accessable. what else can I check?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

web server logs

You could try opening one extra terminal and watching the web server's access logs or error logs when you try to connect. That should show you what is going on. In the open terminal, user tail -f

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/apache2/access.log
    or

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log