Thread: New user information on how it works compared to windows xp

Hybrid View

Beans

New user information on how it works compared to windows xp

When you install files from the software section where do they go? I installed the gnome tweak program to resize my scroll bar on the right but I don't know were it went or how to start it.

Is there a "find" or "search" program that is similar to the one in windows? Do installed files go into a "program files" place like they do in xp?

How can I find files from my same computer but different hard dis find wheret were in word and put them in the ubuntu office program and the same question for pdf files?

Is there a way to find out how your files are set up on the computer like you would in a tree in windows?

Is there a list of common terminal emulator commands that are needed to operate the machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: New user information on how it works compared to windows xp

You could start here https://help.ubuntu.com/
    It helps if you mention the version that you are using.

Beans

I am using Quantal 64 bit 12.10 version for the questions I asked above. Thanks for sending the easy link to find out what version I am using.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3Tom View Post
    Is there a list of common terminal emulator commands that are needed to operate the machine?
    The top (first) Sticky in this section should be helpful.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2015424
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Linux is not Windows.

All your system files will be installed on "/' partition and in more than one folder in '/'.

You can search for installed programs from DASH. See the highlights in the screenshot:

Desktop_012.jpg

EDIT: For Command Line: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandLineResources
    Last edited by fantab; April 25th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The Windows key is called the "Super" key in many tutorials that you may find.
    So press "super" to see the Dash, you can search for applications and everything else from there. The icons on the bottom of the dash change the search from apps, music etc.
    Or you can jump straight to "Search Applications" by pressing "Super+A" or files with "Super+F"
    Hold down the super key to see a list of keyboard shortcuts.
    Some people do not like the Unity interface, I quite like it.
    You can easily change the desktop manager to a more traditional Windows type. One option is to install Cinnamon, see here for example:
    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1246
    When you next log in you will have a choice of interfaces, the icon next the where you type your login name.

Edit: You can switch off Amazon shopping results by opening the Dash, type "Privacy" and switch it off there.
    Last edited by coldraven; April 25th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When you install files from the software section where do they go? I installed the gnome tweak program to resize my scroll bar on the right but I don't know were it went or how to start it.
    They usually go into the Applications Dash (the Ubuntu button, then press the little bookshelf icon at the bottom of the Dash). Gnome Tweak Tool is actually called "Advanced Settings" so you can search for that in the Dash. Or if you start typing "gnome tweak" into the Dash it will appear.

Do installed files go into a "program files" place like they do in xp?
    No, each part of a program goes into the place it needs to go into. You don't need to worry about where as any graphical programs will be available from the Dash, and any terminal programs are easily run from the terminal just by typing their name.

How can I find files from my same computer but different hard dis find wheret were in word and put them in the ubuntu office program and the same question for pdf files?
    Can you please rephrase this question, I don't know what you're asking.

Is there a way to find out how your files are set up on the computer like you would in a tree in windows?
    Open up the home folder and click on the top item in the sidebar on the left (on mine, it's labelled "101GB Filesystem"). Explore.

This is 2013, there are no terminal commands needed for ordinary operation of your computer. There's not really a list of what's available, except if you look in /bin, /sbin and /usr/bin folders.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ther eis a linux command cheat sheet. but as mentioned commands are not needed.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

...How can I find files from my same computer but different hard dis find wheret were in word and put them in the ubuntu office program ...
    Linux uses LibreOffice -- which provides many of the same features of MS Office -- but it does NOT handle .docx files well. With Office 2007, MS changed the default file saving convention from .doc to .docx -- and that gives other office programs a hard time. If you're going to be using Office 2007 or Office 2010 files in Linux, be prepared to not have things work as well as they did in MS Office.

As folks have already said -- Linux is not Windows.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.