Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Video problem

Hi there,
    Well here I am again with another problem. This time I looked to see if some one had already asked about this and found that no one had. So here is my problem: my video goes from normal to grayed out on its own, at the same time everything freezes to where I can't click on anything. I can move my mouse, but just can't select anything untill the video comes back to normal. It sometimes takes a minute or two before I have control again. It also goes from gray to normal and back to gray, sometimes at least 4 times. So what is wrong with my video? Thanks Larry

Ubuntu computer: CPU= AMD FX 4100, RAM= DDR3-1866 (8gb), MB= ASUS M5A78L-M-LX, HDD= 1tb, Video card= Radeon HD5450

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Video problem

Programs that have become unresponsive can get greyed out. Your video player must be doing something strange, just hang for a few minutes before continuing. It shouldn't. What video player do you use? And it may hang because it's waiting for I/O. Where is the video read from? HDD, DVD, network drive? There may be a problem with the storage device.

I don't think it's a driver problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

These things can be frustrationg.

First, do you have the ATI driver installed or are you using the default driver that was installed with Ubuntu?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Hi there, well this problem gets even stranger, I was on my other computer which runs Zorin as its OS. I noticed that it did the same thing as my Ubuntu OS does. So that tells me the problem is somewhere around the DSL Modem or the DSL system. What do you think? Thanks Larry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The only way it would be modem or DSL related is if you were STREAMING video -- which would have been nice for you to tell us, up front.

If the network throughput is low, as happens all the time with wireless, the video is likely to gray out and/or freeze while you're buffering additional frames.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Hi there, thanks for the info. NO, I was not streaming video. I am on my Zorin computer now and at the moment it is running okay. This Zorin computer don't have this problem as much as the Ubuntu OS computer does. On the Ubuntu computer it seems to do the graying out more when I try to Bookmark a website. When I pull down a small window, that is when it freezes and the web page turns gray, but the little window will stay brite as normal. It don't seem to be harming anything, but it sure is agravateing and slows up the process. I don't even know where to start looking for the problem. If you have any info or suggestions please let me know!!! Thanks Larry

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's quite possible the web site is running a script on your PC, which can keep your PC busy and cause the grey-out. Sometimes they will get "stuck" from an error, then it takes a while until the system tells you the script is unresponsive.

Beans
    Distro

Hi there, thanks for the info, I don't even know where to look for a script. I am a Beginner at running Linux, I still don't understand how to use Ubuntu the way it is suppose to be used. All I know how to do is get on the Web Network. I have found out that the greying out and freesing also happens when I try to get a picture off Facebook and send it to a picture folder I use to save pictures. It will grayout the backgroung but the choices window is still normal. So it looks like when I try to get something done and use a little window over top the subject it starts this graying out problem. Now this is two different times it does this problem, but the one thing that is common is the little window over top the subject. I hope this helps someone figure out what is going on. If you have any info about this please let me know, Thanks Larry.

Beans
    Distro

Hi there, okay now I have found a real problem, my power supply lost it's -5v. I don't know if this is the problem I was having with my video. So I will just get a new power supply and see if the problem continues, I will let you know as soon as I get a new power supply. Thanks Larry

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Video problem

Hi there, Okay I have changed out the power supply, and so far it is working like it is suppose to. I will run this for a few more days and see if this was the problem. If it is the problem then it will be solved. Thanks Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast