View Poll Results: What should we do for the next dev cycle?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Close and archive this sub-froum

32 41.03%
  • Rename to U+1 and continue on

46 58.97%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Name change

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Name change

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Bad day, bad choice of words. This should get you there:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2116390

I've hopefully been hanging my head in shame long enough.

No excuses, just apologies
    LOL

I never take anything personally in there or if I do you'd be completely aware of it

certainly no need for extended bouts of shame or apologies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I think you'd have been wise to include some warning, including the fact that the official toolchain has not yet been uploaded.

Imagine someone just doing a web search after seeing this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/ubunt...ced-saucy.html

There are of course many sites where you can find that info. But then they see this:

Attachment 241821

What could possibly go wrong
    But cariboo907 has covered that all in the sticky&wiki.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/common-problems

I think your expectation here is being unfair and not constructive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Threads that are not receiving replies do not show up on my Interest Scanner. I rarely look back more than 48 hours. So, I don't care how large or long the section has become. If the mods have a method of keeping things under control then I am happy.

I would not be surprised if 13.10 was the last interim release. I am not happy with the term "rolling release" because some people who have no experience with Ubuntu will want to install it and will want their hand being held. I do not see that as part of the reason for having a U+1 section. On the other hand I will participate in holding someone's hand when it comes to helping them test and fix things when they break.

Some new user problems have the same answer whether it is 12.04 or 13.04 that they are using. The development release does not have a special way of getting a connection to a wireless router. Does it? And yet all a person had to do was say, "I am using 13.04" and the post was moved into Ubuntu+1 when it would have got better support in the Networking and wireless section or where it was.

Is there a difference between: "I downloaded the latest Ubuntu and all I get is a black screen when I boot into it." And "I downloaded the ubuntu rolling release and when I boot into it all I get is a black screen. Yes, it may be due to something in the development release but the solutions are the same.

Just some of my thoughts, while we are having this kind of discussion.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 26th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Some new user problems have the same answer whether it is 12.04 or 13.04 that they are using. The development release does not have a special way of getting a connection to a wireless router. Does it? And yet all a person had to do was say, "I am using 13.04" and the post was moved into Ubuntu+1 when it would have got better support in the Networking and wireless section or where it was.

Is there a difference between: "I downloaded the latest Ubuntu and all I get is a black screen when I boot into it." And "I downloaded the ubuntu rolling release and when I boot into it all I get is a black screen. Yes, it may be due to something in the development release but the solutions are the same.

Just some of my thoughts, while we are having this kind of discussion.

Regards.
    Agreed. Whether you put Ubuntu +1 Saucy or U+1 you will still get an influx of off-topic threads. I think all that needs to be done is expressed guidelines about what sort of things are suitable content for a U+1 subforum.

Beans

I voted for a close and reopen anew although I am fascinated by the idea of a 'sub-froum'
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I voted to rename this sub-forum to "U+1", because IMHO could be important to have a history of each Ubuntu release (or at least of those still supported).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'd suggest that we make a decision at the FC meeting tomorrow rather than the end of the month - as it stands the name is a red rag to people posting issues for the 13.04 release ...

Beans
    Distro

I voted for U+1 and to keep the content. U+1 (no release name) already makes it clear (IMHO) that it's not about support for users. It's cryptic enough for the everyday crowd.
    If that is not acceptable, a suggestion: Wouldn't "Ubuntu Testing" be a good choice? It makes things pretty clear, like: "- Yea, Ubuntu Testing is about Ubuntu Testing (o_O), not support...".
    Maybe "U+1 (Ubuntu Testing)". Can't get much clearer than that

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I think we should call it U+1 (Edge Works)

Beans
    Hidden!

Judging by the number of posts, perhaps it should be called "Nvidia testing". (I'm not complaining, rather, I pity those who've had so many problems with Nvidia.)

Actually, I think "U+1" is clear enough, especially to those with an interest in the next version, but I agree that "U+1 (Ubuntu Testing)" makes it very clear, and is no way objectionable.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast