Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] No WAN connection, but LAN connection is OK

Beans

Re: No WAN connection, but LAN connection is OK

Have you checked that the resolvconf service is running and that /etc/resolvconf is correctly symlinked?

Code:
    service resolvconf status

ls -l /etc/resolvconf
    If you're using network-manager, then I don't think it's necessary to mess with dhclient in order to set alternative DNS servers, you can do it by editing the connection in the nm-applet GUI - if you're using DHCP you can change 'Automatic (DHCP)' to 'Automatic (DHCP) addresses only' then add your DNS IPs in the boxes below.

Beans

The problem could also be with the local NetworkManager-controlled forwarding nameserver. See if disabling it helps. To disable the local forwarding nameserver, "gksudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf", comment out the line "dns=dnsmasq" (put a '#' at the beginning of the line), save the file and then reboot. After that you should see the remote nameserver addresses in resolv.conf instead of 127.0.0.1, the address of the local nameserver.

Beans

The response to
    service resolvconf status
    is:
    resolvconf start/running
    Last edited by dpechiu; April 25th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.

Beans

I commented out dns=dnsmasq in NetworkManager.conf and rebooted but still cannot browse or use update manager.
    #dns=dnsmasq
    Update:

I found /etc/resolv.conf and there was complete garbage in it.
    search mosys.lan mosys.com
    nameserver 192.168.6.128
    nameserver 207.5.0.50
    I removed all 3 lines and added
    nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220
    I'm now writing you from my Ubuntu laptop which can now browse websites and update manager works as well.

The issue is partially fixed because I restored functionality, but we haven't found the root cause. The next question is why does resolv.conf not update automatically from Network Manager? NM has the correct info, and had it the whole time, whether I used my ISP's DNS or opendns.com DNS. How the garbage ended up in /etc/resolv.conf is beyond me.
    Last edited by dpechiu; April 26th, 2013 at 03:58 AM.

Beans

Something appears to have trashed your /etc/resolv.conf. Run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf" to reinstall the symbolic link /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf.

Beans

Before running the command /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf did not exist.

After running
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
    and rebooting the machine the symbolic link was created, and /etc/resolv.conf contained 4 lines instead of 2 but I don't care at this point.
    This evening I will change the DNS in my router back to the ISP DNS to see if it gets updated in /etc/resolv.conf, and will report my findings here. In the mean time thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by dpechiu; April 26th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.

Beans

So I've changed the DNS adresses in the router to the ones provided by my ISP. However, the Ubuntu laptop was still using the opendns.com ones. I had to backtrack and revert all the changes I've made:

In /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf I've commented out the prepend domain... line
    #prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220;

In /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf I've removed the comment from the line below:
    dns=dnsmasq

I then went to Network Manager and changed ipv4 to Automatic DHCP without providing any DNS addresses.

Now "Connection Information" reports my router's IP as the DNS.

/etc/resolv.com shows first my router'sIP address then the two from opendns.com. So I guess I'm using the ISP one from the router, and as a fallback I have the opendns.com ones too. Sweet!

So my /etc/resolf.conf was trashed, and the symbolic link was broken preventing me from having a correct DNS server. The fix for this was
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
    Thank you all for your help! You have saved me hours of insalling a new distro and coniguring it to my liking!!!

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] No WAN connection, but LAN connection is OK

I've pinged websites by name. Firefox cannot connect to any site. Skype cannot connect to its server. That's how I concluded that I can't connect to the WAN. Keep in mind that all other devices on the LAN have no DNS trouble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12