Thread: Spyware or what?

Beans

Spyware or what?

I have heard that ubuntu has no open ports and that spyware doesnt work on it. using wireshark i can see stuff coming and going though. so what is it then?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Spyware or what?

Ubuntu will check automatically for security and bug repair updates. Versions after 12.04 integrate Amazon searches as well, so there will be some activity that is not directly user-initiated. I haven't checked, but I think the server versions don't have the Amazon search integrated. Perhaps someone else can confirm my guess about the server version.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps someone else can confirm my guess about the server version.
    Being that the amazon and/or shopping lenses is unity-desktop specific, I would think that a non gui server wouldn't have that.
    Nor would any desktop other than unity.
    So if you wanted to run a server with a gui, and decided to install, let's say openbox, you wouldn't have the unity-shopping-lens.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And you can turn off the internet search (including amazon shopping) by going to privacy settings and hit two off buttons...

Beans
    Hidden!

It could be normal traffic on a LAN or internal loopback traffic.

What ports are you seeing in Wireshark? What IP address is it communicating with?
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

there is activity other than the router and the loopback.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nycap View Post
    I have heard that ubuntu has no open ports and that spyware doesnt work on it. using wireshark i can see stuff coming and going though. so what is it then?
    Spyware works on anything and Ubuntu does have "open" ports.

Default installations of Ubuntu must have no listening network services after initial install. Exceptions to this rule include network infrastructure services such as the DHCP client and mDNS (Avahi/ZeroConf, see ZeroConfPolicySpec for implementation details and justification). When installing Ubuntu Server, the administrator can, of course, select specific services to install beyond the defaults (e.g. Apache).

Testing for this can be done with netstat -an --inet | grep LISTEN | grep -v 127.0.0.1: on a fresh install.

Source: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Features

If you NMAP a default 12.10 install for example you will see Ports 68/UDP, 5353/UDP and 631/TCP are listening.

Also if you know how to use wireshark then you would know what the traffic is, if you dont then how do you know what you are seeing at all ?

Peace
    Last edited by haqking; April 24th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013