Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decreased battery duration

Beans
    Hidden!

Decreased battery duration

I have recently returned to Ubuntu after using windows XP. One thing I have noticed is that my battery life has drastically decreased from about 3 hours (on windows XP) to slightly less than one hour (on Ubuntu 12.04) on a charged battery. I have of course kept in mind that the brightness and the type of program I run might affect the battery duration but even with reduced brightness Ubuntu lasts way longer.

My questions now are:
    - How could I improve battery life duration keeping Ubuntu 12.04 ?
    - Which Ubuntu based Linux OS is the lightest when it comes to battery usage ?
    Last edited by SifGrey; April 23rd, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Decreased battery duration

You can try tlp here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/impro...y-life-in.html or Jupiter: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/jupit...itches-to.html. TLP seems to work better here, even cooling down my laptop.
    They say LXDE (Lubuntu) is lighter on resources, but if I unplug the energy here with Unity, it says that I have 5 hours remaining.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've installed TLP but it has only increased the battery duration with about half an hour with many options turned off. Thanks for suggesting it though. I think I'll try and combine it with a lighter OS to have better results. Is Xubuntu any lighter on the battery than Ubuntu? I'd already thought of moving to Xubuntu but I'd like to know if it would help when it comes to my battery life.

Beans
    Distro

They say it is, but I prefer Lubuntu because it's even lighter. Give it a try. Memory consumption isn't the only factor that increases battery life so it's up to the applications you use.

Beans
    Hidden!

I had already thoughts so. That's why I started this thread. If I went by memory usage only I could have easily figured it out myself but unfortunately things aren't as simple .
    I'll take a look at Lubuntu then.

Update: I'm downloading the ISO and I have to say that I'm already happy with the 692MB it takes. It means I won't have to use a DVD (of which I have a shortage).
    Last edited by SifGrey; April 23rd, 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Lubuntu states that hey use lighter applications like Chromium instead of FF, Abiword replaces LibreOffice, Lubuntu Software Center is lighter than Ubuntu's counterpart, etcetera

Beans
    Distro

Just to add, my laptop uses proprietary wireless drivers and Lubuntu doesn't install them by default, maybe you'll need to do the same.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'll take that into consideration when I set it up. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm writing this while testing out Lubuntu and I have to say that I like it. The only thing which I might have to change is the terminal as the letters are way too small.
    Do you have any idea how to change the font-size in terminal? (and only in terminal)
    Last edited by SifGrey; April 23rd, 2013 at 08:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

It's just right-click somewhere inside the window I guess, preferences or proprieties, then you'll find the font settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast