Thread: Starting Reload cups are both [ OK ] & [ FAIL ] at boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Starting Reload cups are both [ OK ] & [ FAIL ] at boot

One of the first things I did after I installed 13.04 was to remove modemmanager, because I don't use it. However, I noticed that during the boot process there was still a reference to this:

Stopping modem connection manager [ OK ]

By chance I went to /etc/init/, made a copy of modemmanager.conf, preserving permisions, time stamp, owner etc. and deleted the file from the init/ folder. After restart, the reference disappeared from the boot screen, so I believe that the problem was fixed and not only apparently.

But I still got one more problem:

* Starting Reload cups, upon starting avahi-daemon to make sure remote queues are populated [OK]

* Starting Reload cups, upon starting avahi-daemon to make sure remote queues are populated [fail]

This reference appears twice. I looked into /etc/init and there were two files related to cups. The first was cups-browsed.conf (I also deleted cups-browsed a long time ago ) and cups.conf, but removing cups-browsed.conf didn't solve the problem. I still get the FAIL message.

Any ideas about why I'm getting this and how can it be fixed?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Starting Reload cups are both [ OK ] & [ FAIL ] at boot

Ah yes, the tempation to remove stuff from linux. Unlike Wikipedia, an idea that seems better on paper than in practice.

The avahi daemon is used to advertise your shared printers on the network. Removing those configuration files will break the services that rely on them.

You can reinstall cups or replace those configuration files and reboot.

Configuration files are meant to be configured--not deleted. If they were meant to be deleted they would be called delete_me files. You can safely remove any files called delete_me.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It might have to do with some cups files I removed with apt-get... I can't remember if the message appeared twice right after the installation of OS. I'll give it a try and install cups-browsed & cups-bsd and put back the files in .conf, to see if there's a change.

Thanks!

Beans

Same issue here, after upgrade to 13.04. Any chance to get it solved?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Same here..... haven't done anything funny with printers

Beans

It's not a result of having removed anything. Linux has great tools for safely removing unused software.
    There's a bug filed for the CUPS reload: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...i/+bug/1158686

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation Re: Starting Reload cups are both [ OK ] & [ FAIL ] at boot

Quote Originally Posted by clearski View Post

But I still got one more problem:

* Starting Reload cups, upon starting avahi-daemon to make sure remote queues are populated [OK]

* Starting Reload cups, upon starting avahi-daemon to make sure remote queues are populated [fail]

This reference appears twice...
    Same issue here, and I have just done a clean install (Xubuntu 13.10). I have had disabled the modem manager the way described here [http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...01010&start=0], but I've had this error already even before doing so! That means this issue is not dependent on any removal or non-standard user behavior!

See my boot.log:
    Code:
    $ cat /var/log/boot.log 
    Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox
    Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.sbin.rsyslogd
     * Starting AppArmor profiles                                                   * Starting SystemD login management service                                    [ OK ]
    [ OK ]
     * Starting mDNS/DNS-SD daemon                                                 [ OK ]
     * Starting Reload cups, upon starting avahi-daemon to make sure remote queues are populated                                                                   [ OK ]
     * Setting sensors limits                                                      [ OK ]
     * Starting Reload cups, upon starting avahi-daemon to make sure remote queues are populated                                                                   [fail]
     * Setting up X socket directories...                                          [ OK ]
     * Stopping System V initialisation compatibility                              [ OK ]
     * Starting network connection manager                                         [ OK ]
     * Starting System V runlevel compatibility                                    [ OK ]
     * Starting                                                                    [ OK ]
     * Starting                                                                    [ OK ]
     * Starting cups-browsed - Bonjour remote printer browsing daemon              [ OK ]
     * Starting Restore Sound Card State                                           [ OK ]
     * Starting ACPI daemon                                                        [ OK ]
     * Starting anac(h)ronistic cron                                               [ OK ]
     * Starting save kernel messages                                               [ OK ]
     * Starting automatic crash report generation                                  [ OK ]
     * Stopping save kernel messages                                               [ OK ]
     * Stopping Restore Sound Card State                                           [ OK ]
     * Stopping Restore Sound Card State                                           [ OK ]
     * Starting regular background program processing daemon                       [ OK ]
    --
    crysman, running Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I switched to 13.10 with a clean install last night and one of the first thirty things I did was a

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge cups*
    It's really good for the Desktop edition, but I am simply not using it for now.

After reboot, the error was still there and it stayed there until I did this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge avahi*
    Now I've got a clean boot process.

Please note that:

a) I am using static IP addresses (no DHCP);
    b) I run a DNS server over LAN;
    c) I was ready for a reinstall.

It's not exactly a "do this" post, only a report of how I got this solved in certain circumstances.