Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good games for small kids 2-3 yo? not impressed with gcompris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Any good games for small kids 2-3 yo? not impressed with gcompris

Are there any good linux games (can be educaitonal) that could be suitable for really small children? i've tried gcompris and stuff in doudou linux but i am not impressed with it. neither is the kid.

i would probably have more luck looking for that in android & touch huh? it is there something that might work on desktop?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Re: Any good games for small kids 2-3 yo? not impressed with gcompris

That doesn't answer your question but are you sure it's a good idea to let such a young child to do ANYTHING in front of a screen? I wouldn't indtroduce my children, in case I would have some, to a computer or a TV unless they request that or there's a need to.

But anyhow, I don't have an idea what to propose to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have yet to find any good game for kids. Even Ri-Li is difficult for kids younger than 2 year old to grasp, not sure about 3 years or older.
    Proteus might be what you have been looking for.
    If you find any "game" that has very limited input to use (either 4 keys to move or mouse) where the kid moves something around (without any challenge at all, no bad guys), then please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by cRaZyBisCuiT View Post
    That doesn't answer your question but are you sure it's a good idea to let such a young child to do ANYTHING in front of a screen?
    It is neither good nor bad. The only bad thing to introduce to your child is not allowing your kid to get bored. Your kids need to know the world is not made for their entertainment, and that they have to create their own entertainment. You don't want to hinder your kids creativity. "Smart kids" tend to be the ones that do something after having nothing to do. But for this young children it's fine to occasionally stick them in front of a computer or TV for short periods of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What about a drawing app? As I recall it there's one for kids. I think it's called tuxpaint.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Tetris (Quadrapassel or whatever clone)? Though it might be frustrating for the child.
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Try my Memory Owl. My nephew and niece love it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I put Qimo for kids (originally based on Ubuntu 8 something) on an old Pentium3 550 and gave it to my twin grand nephews when they were 4 years old, several years ago. Last December I updated it to the most recent Qimo version. They still enjoy playing around with it. http://www.qimo4kids.com/ Some of the learning games can even be fun and challenging for adults.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Perhaps Tux Racer?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe some of the intro levels for Pingus?
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

hmm i will try some of the suggestions.

i imagine the difficulty is still the input interface. mouse is not that easy to master. touch is porbably easier. or something else like a steering wheel.

i tried gcompris - and he actually liked one or two games but couldn't play them without my help.

quimo seems interesting. especially if i could get it to run the old low RAM notebook (now running chrunchbang XFCE). and perhaps with small notebook mouse he might like it. or maybe i need to make him his own distribution...

anyway i remember spectrum had planety of games for kids so maybe i will look up some of those and then run them via emulator.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast