Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Invoice Software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Invoice Software

One option, which will work but is not free, is to install Virtualbox from the software centre, then install Windows inside Virtualbox and finally the program you want to use.

This is not free because you will need a licence for Windows and install media.

Running software in a virtual machine is slightly slower than directly on your hardware but I don't think it will be noticeable for the program you want to run. A high end game on the other hand probably would be too slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have an idea. My other computer, which runs on Windows XP Professional, was said (by my computer technician) to be able to run two operating systems. I have seen computers like that. You start it up, and a prompt on a pitch-black screen asks to run either Windows XP or Windows 7.
    The technician didn't say I could not also run Ubuntu, so theoretically, I could have both OSs on that computer. But I have a question. If I could do that, what would happen? Would I still need virus protection for my other computer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I dual booted XP and Ubuntu for years and still have XP installed on a drive in my desktop and on my laptop. I actually fired up the XP when my daughter could not get to work due to rain and needed a system to use to do work from home.
    But I hate starting it up as I have to do so many updates and reboots. XP wants its updates, firewall wants its updates, virus software wants its updates, then Jave and some other software which I do not use all pop up insist on updates and each wants a reboot. Why could it not be simple like Ubuntu on only need one set of updates and only if kernel need reboot?

You should not need the virus software for Ubuntu but definitely for XP. The main risk to Linux is phishing or getting you to believe a web site is your Bank or credit card site and get you to type in passwords. Or similar to install software by convincing you to giving your password. With Linux security of ownership and permissions it is more difficult and about impossible to auto install something in the background unless you specifically authorize it.

How much space do you have on XP system. Windows NTFS partitions need about 30% free space to run well so you should not shrink it more than that.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have lots of space on my Windows computer.
    It's a brand new mother board with the old monitor, keyboard and mouse and printer. The original motherboard crashed.
    I think it runs on a 500gb hard drive. It also has USB 3.0 ports. I still find it baffling how you could use these ports to exchange 4gb of data in a few short seconds.
    But this topic is in regards to the invoice software. Let's not digress too much.

What I am actually looking for is information to start on using the invoice software (for Windows) safely and successfully using Ubuntu OS.
    My other idea is that maybe..... I can run both WIndows XP & Ubuntu on the same computer in the hopes that I wouldn't need anti-virus software anymore.

So look. I now know about WineHQ. I want to learn to take advantage of it and would like to know... which forum in Ubuntu forums deals with support for software like WineHQ? I know I can't just point and click and be done. I kind of have to have some software engineering skills to move forward and would like to develop them from here. Just tell me where to start for instruction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If your computer/processor is anything less than 5 or so years old, and you have a valid windows xp license and install disk, I'd use virtualbox and create a windows xp virtual machine. Much better than having to restart to run windows applications.

We use it because we use Quicken.

Beans

I agree with Derek Karpinski.

I was runnning Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop with VirtualBox on my 7 year old computer,
    and I had XP as a guest under VirtualBox. Ran just fine.

My old 7 year old computer ( finally went out on me after running
    16 hours a day, everyday, last 7 years ) was a 64 bit, and I ran
    32 bit XP. If you have the memory, it is a lot easier to run XP programs this way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12