Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invoice Software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Invoice Software

I really like how Ubuntu is a really stable operating system. I like it so much that I want to install it on this other computer that I have, but I have a bit of a dilemma. This other computer runs on Windows and I need it to so that I can run a program called My Invoices & Estimates: Deluxe.

I searched on my desktop in the Software Center under the keyword, "invoice" but all I got were some programs that got bad reviews. Is there any way of knowing if it is possible to run this invoice program on Ubuntu? I'm guessing the answer is no but I am curious to know more about Ubuntu. More importantly, I want to know if there are any reliable invoice software programs to use that are compatible with Ubuntu.
    I'm not even sure if this is the section to discuss this, so I'd appreciate it if someone told where to go for the right support.

Beans

Re: Help with Invoice Software

It is actually possible to install and use Windows software directly on your Ubuntu system. It will depend about how well this Windows software is supported by something which is called Wine. Take a look at this link.

On the above link you get to the WineHQ homepage where you will be able to click in the exact application that is compatible with the Wine software. The Wine software and the version of Wine decides if the Windows application that you want to use, that decides if it's possible or not. About possible Linux invoice applications, you can always look inside the categories from the Ubuntu Software Center (which I assume that you have already done) and besides that place you also got the sourceforge.net which has a lot of software which is not provided by your Ubuntu Linux distribution. In some cases, it is necessary to compile the source code yourself, but not always.

Hope this helps, for starters.
    Operating system: Debian Wheezy 7.0.
    Computer: Celeron 2 ghz laptop, 2 GB RAM.
    Linux user since -99.

Beans
    Hidden!

Also have a look at this post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you looked at Gnucash?

It's handles invoices, cash flow, accounts etc. You can find it in the software centre or from the link above.

It is almost always better to use software suitable for your OS rather than via Wine or Virtualisation software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    It is almost always better to use software suitable for your OS rather than via Wine or Virtualisation software
    From a technical standpoint I totally agree with you. But from a more practical standpoint I totally disagree. Because if you're used to using one software application and where it's filled with data records, you will need that very same software to access your data, as you know. Migrating to new software is not always an alternative, as migrating to another operating system should be.

The choice is free, which I think it's the best thing of all, knowing about alternatives, also knowing the difficulties which comes with it, and I believe that's why we are here too.
    Operating system: Debian Wheezy 7.0.
    Computer: Celeron 2 ghz laptop, 2 GB RAM.
    Linux user since -99.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

http://sugarcrm.com is a Contact Relations Management package that follows the entire pipeline from lead generation to bidding, to contract. It does not have billing, but it does have a plug-in framework and there are a few invoice plug-ins. The fact that you have your clients in a database means that you have quite a few of them and you want to keep detailed records on each one. Sugar runs natively on your Ubuntu server and is accessed via a webpage on your internal network. You can also get cloud-based services if you have multiple operating locations.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The information on GnuCash seems interesting, but I want to know about Wine.

I followed the link to WineHQ. I typed in the software program, My Invoices & Estimates Deluxe, and it brought me here:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=6263
    From there, I clicked the link to see a page with some information. I figured what I was after was at the bottom of the page where it says, "HOWTO get it running" . ( I'm guessing I will have to install a few programs and then work with a command prompt. )

I'm guessing that what this is telling me is that in theory, I can get it to run. That's great. But what is .... Kubuntu (mentioned under test results)? The version I currently use is Ubuntu 12.04, I think. Maybe I could test its compatibility on my PC first before installing Ubuntu on that other computer and try to get it run on there.

Even though it appears that I found what I needed, I don't know what to do with what I have. How to proceed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do not think Bronze is very good and only one user tried it. That usually means some functions may not fully work. But no harm in experimenting if you are so inclined.
    But back to comments above, better to use native software.

I dual booted with XP for 5 years until last year. I had used Quicken since DOS and upgraded just about every year for 20 years. But finally realized I did not need all the features, they were nice & I think if Quicken offered a Linux version I would pay for it. But I have KmyMoney for my checkbook and some other data and that is all I really need.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rolfUser View Post
    The information on GnuCash seems interesting, but I want to know about Wine.

I followed the link to WineHQ. I typed in the software program, My Invoices & Estimates Deluxe, and it brought me here:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=6263
    From there, I clicked the link to see a page with some information. I figured what I was after was at the bottom of the page where it says, "HOWTO get it running" . ( I'm guessing I will have to install a few programs and then work with a command prompt. )

yup. or you can try Play on linux (a GUI for wine) which has a couple of stuff preset.
    bronze means some stuff might not work. however i also see that last test of this software seems to have been done back in 2007. so it might work nicely this time arround. hard to say.

I'm guessing that what this is telling me is that in theory, I can get it to run. That's great. But what is .... Kubuntu (mentioned under test results)?
    Kubuntu is a version of Ubuntu with KDE desktop. KDE looks & feels a bit more like windows.

i would follow oldfried's advice and give alternative porgrammes a try. perhaps they can even import invoices.

i created small online shop and that one uses it's own invoice system. it doesn't seem that these invoices are anything special. i mean you need some way to track and trace them (archive) and certain data must be on them and that's about it.

if your needs are more complex (bigger company) then your would need an ERP anyway (such as OpenERP for exmaple).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

I have used a website called filetransit and have gotten a few linux programs and haven't had any problems with them. I don't know if anyone else has used them but they have 127 linux programs in the business section under linux if you want to check them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast