Thread: Netflix desktop

Beans

Unhappy Netflix desktop

I had netflix working for a while and all was good in the land.
    Then that dang "silverlight update" rolled around, didnt see a way past it and ended up netflix because it didnt work anymore.

After trying all that I could I uninstalled netflix-desktop and wine altogether
    now for some reason I cant even install because I keep getting this error

$ sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package netflix-desktop is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
    wine-browser-installer

E: Package 'netflix-desktop' has no installation candidate

Can someone please help me out? I have no idea what

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Netflix desktop

I've not had any issues with netflix desktop since I only use it rarely. (I have a separate set-top box and my TV is a whopping 15 feet from the desktop, so I don't need it much)

Anyway, I believe the solution to your problem lies right there in the feedback you got from the terminal.

The following packages replace it......

That generally means that the package you're trying to install has been superceded by something else, and it's trying to tell you what the replacement is. Try installing the package it's telling you to install.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans

I have attempted to do so and get a very similar error
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package wine-browser-installer is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'wine-browser-installer' has no installation candidate

I am now even more lost than before @_@

Beans

Open up Ubuntu Software Center. Choose to search for package: netflix. What packages does it list for you?
    Operating system: Debian Wheezy 7.0.
    Computer: Celeron 2 ghz laptop, 2 GB RAM.
    Linux user since -99.

Beans

"No items match "netflix""

Beans

You definitely should check out the Netflix homepage.
    Read what it says and just follow the instructions. One important thing to note from what they have written:
    Currently, Wine does not include all of the necessary patches to use Netflix "out of the box", so the PPA below also contains a custom build of Wine with the patches included.
    You probably have a version of Wine in your Ubuntu system which is not capable of using Netflix. I don't know why your Software Center cannot find the package though, but continue to read from their webpage and you might note more things as well which should be of importance in this. Standard version of Wine shipped with Ubuntu, not compatible with Netflix.
    Operating system: Debian Wheezy 7.0.
    Computer: Celeron 2 ghz laptop, 2 GB RAM.
    Linux user since -99.

Beans

The simple way to set this up is to import the developer's package repository into your apt installer program.

Go to a terminal and type the following:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

When the netflix-desktop is installed, just type the command "netflix-desktop" and a modified version of wine will format your desktop for Netflix and start the program.

I would advise you have a later version of Ubuntu installed. I got this to work on versions 12.04 and later.

Good luck.

Beans

I think I know what went wrong here, because the same thing has happened to me. But this happened after I went to completely clean Netflix-Desktop from my computer to reinstall it after it was behaving somewhat glitchy.

I went into the SPM and completely removed wine-browser-installer and related packages, including netflix-desktop and the silverlight plug-in. Since then even if I follow the suggestions here to apt-add-repository, update and install the netflix-desktop again it seems to have no clue what I'm looking for. I tried to launch it right from the dev file but in the Software Centre received a message saying there was an error.

- - -

I [Solved] this for myself by going into the Synaptic Package Manager.
    Edit > Reload Package Information
    then
    Settings > Repositories > Other Sources, and finding what was unselected and adding them back.

Then I went through the usual install process for Netflix and it was able to find the missing information. And ta-da, at least my netflix is working again. :D
    Last edited by b|ackhole; October 29th, 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: I hate emotes.