Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good single-player offline game

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Good single-player offline game

Shouldn't there be some way to alter a Cube2 game to make it somewhat more goal oriented? I was thinking of perhaps checkpoints throughout a level with pre-deployed enemies that guard their particular areas. The checkpoints would basically be the goals that essentially give a guided tour of the level. Hell, it would work without checkpoints for a more free-style type game. Also no enemy respawn and/or no time limit. Level ends when all checkpoints are met and/or all opponents are eliminated. Obviously, this setup wouldn't work in small levels. I don't really need a story, just something more than a first-person Gauntlet with the base acting as an enemy generator.
    Last edited by zer010; April 30th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by zer010 View Post
    @R33D3M33R
    I didn't really expect much in the way of story when it comes to Linux FPS. I was just hoping for more than the usual bot deathmatch mode.
    it really is strange isn't it?! i mean those first doom games had simple story and goal -> get to the exit switch. but these free FPS games don't even have that.
    descent games, descent and interesting maps yet no story. like for example quake based smokin' guns. or padman. no stories and also no coop modes.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am looking for free games (Linux or Windows). However, I do have one of the games you suggested, Oblivion.

well you could now try Oblivion's predecesors. Morrowind is guaranteed to occupy you for some time. works in wine. has descent graphics. or even older elderscrolls (dagerfall and Arena i think both were released for free.

there are plenty of freely released good old games (dos widn95/98) that mostly work in wine. i think Command & conquer and Red Alert are both free now. let's not even start with old Abandoned dos games that work well in linux if you use dosbox. they might have poor graphics but they are still fun to play.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Cool Re: Good single-player offline game

Both Arena and Daggerfall, Elder Scrolls I and II respectively, are free downloads from bethesda.com. Both run admirably with DosBox, and both have the same do-whatever-you-want gameplay as Morrowind (III), Oblivion (IV) and Skyrim (V). Lots of support on the Interwebs for both of them, too.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Smile Re: Good single-player offline game

Quote Originally Posted by kurja View Post
    I too have sought a single player first person shooter for linux with a decent campaign, but haven't found one...

A very interesting-looking game that I haven't tried out yet: Osmos.

Half-Life 2? For Linux? Where? How?
    Just open the Ubuntu Software Center and search for steam, and it'll install it for you. Then, the game needs to be purchased from Steam.

Oh yeah, Osmos is a lot of fun. And frustration.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    Just open the Ubuntu Software Center and search for steam, and it'll install it for you. Then, the game needs to be purchased from Steam.

Oh yeah, Osmos is a lot of fun. And frustration.
    I do have steam and half-life 2 is not available for linux from there as far as I can tell.

screenshot from steam store, click to enlarge

Screenshot from 2013-05-01 00:08:49.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beneath A Steel Sky & Lure of the Temptress were both released for free as a thank you to the ScummVM project. Haven't played the latter, but BASS is really good, if quite hard and pretty grim.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Oops. I hadn't noticed that it was Half-Life 2. The Source engine, which powers the Orange Box, has been ported to Linux; Team Fortress Source is already available, Left For Dead 2? is about to be released. The bottom line is that I would expect Source Engine games to be fully ported within a year or so.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    it really is strange isn't it?! i mean those first doom games had simple story and goal -> get to the exit switch. but these free FPS games don't even have that.
    descent games, descent and interesting maps yet no story. like for example quake based smokin' guns. or padman. no stories and also no coop modes.

well you could now try Oblivion's predecesors. Morrowind is guaranteed to occupy you for some time. works in wine. has descent graphics. or even older elderscrolls (dagerfall and Arena i think both were released for free.

there are plenty of freely released good old games (dos widn95/98) that mostly work in wine. i think Command & conquer and Red Alert are both free now. let's not even start with old Abandoned dos games that work well in linux if you use dosbox. they might have poor graphics but they are still fun to play.
    I did look into modding Cube2:Sauerbraten and it turns out that it does have a "no-enemy-respawn" mode in single player. Now whether they still act like deathmatch bots that know where the player is and seek to shoot is something I haven't tried yet. Perhaps their AI could be modified to do patrol paths and guard positions. Again, I have to play around with it some to see how they react.

I have Skyrim as well, but for xbox360. As for C&C, I have The First Decade bundle, so I'm good on that. I have a snes emulator for some of the older games, but I haven't really thought of DOSBox. Perhaps I should see what abandonware is out there for that and look into the older ES games as you suggested.

Although I'm not gonna get into Steam currently, I'll check it out eventually.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions! ^_^d
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Have you tried Mod Database?Or Indie games? You don't have to join if you don't want to,but it does help.I hope this will help some.Oh yes,they do have some linux games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll add one more native, good, single player offline game - Kerbal Space Program. Demo version for free, full version from steam or from here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast