Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 networking with Windows , Samba Ball ache

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 networking with Windows , Samba Ball ache

Ubuntu has been mostly a pleasurable experience , for a avereage guy with moderate knowledge it has been pretty easy and has shown to be preferable in many ways in comparison to windows

However when it comes to sharing folders with other Windows PC'c, ubuntu has been a huge let down and has left me feeling disappointed , in fact has been a complete ball-ache in this resoect

Why is there no GUI for networking ?

The samba application has never launched on both of my installations , which had led me to writing scrips inside of samba's configuration file , which is a pain ( if you're like me - a noob)

If you have seen my other thread , then you'll see how much of a challenge I found it . Why hasn't the Samba Application GUI worked for 12.10 ? Surely this should be addressed , if there was a working Samba GUI , then every-day people would surely be able to network their Ubuntu PC right

What else am I missing ? I didn't mention Nautilus but I remember tinkering there too , not to mention the code and other scripts i had to faff around with

Goodness grief , surely it must be worth it in the end

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 networking with Windows , Samba Ball ache

Samba and networking are 2 different things but for the Samba part of this:
    .... if there was a working Samba GUI , then every-day people would surely be able to network their Ubuntu PC right
    It's the same in Ubuntu as it is in Windows:

Open the File Manager ( Nautilus ) > Right click a folder you own > Select "Sharing Options" > Mark all the boxes > You created something that looks a lot like a WinXP "simple share".

Test your share:
    Code:
    nautilus smb://192.168.0.100/share-name

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Samba and networking are 2 different things but for the Samba part of this:

It's the same in Ubuntu as it is in Windows:

Open the File Manager ( Nautilus ) > Right click a folder you own > Select "Sharing Options" > Mark all the boxes > You created something that looks a lot like a WinXP "simple share".

Test your share:
    Code:
    nautilus smb://192.168.0.100/share-name
    So its that simple?

Beans

It's the default mechanism that Ubuntu has to create a samba share. It's even smart enough to install the requisite samba package if the user hasn’t already installed it.