Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: buying a new computer, need advice.

Beans

buying a new computer, need advice.

Hey guys, I have been using Ubuntu for years now and I will never be going back to windows. Well my computer is starting to spiral down. Also I.... kinda... dropped it and now the screen won't stay up on it's own (laptop). I could buy the replacement parts but I thought, "heck, maybe I should just upgrade". I have a dell and I have loved it. I wanted to get another Dell but I don't want to have windows, and I can't put Ubuntu in without voiding the warranty. So I have been searching for computers with Ubuntu and I have heard Dell did that but can't find a computer that offers Ubuntu as an OS. Anyways, I have come across ZaReason and System76. I really like the look of the ZaReason Verix 530 (plus I can get a blueray player with them) but I have seen a few of unhappy people online with them. I'm not as hot on System76, the looks of the computers don't impress me and I can't get as many upgrades as I can with ZaReason. But System76 has more good reviews (I haven't even seen one bad review). So I thought I would ask the Ubuntu experts here.

Have any of you used, owned, or have any other kind of experience with these brands? Is there another brand you would suggest? I'm not to picky really. I just want an upgrade from my current computer. I have 3.8 gb RAM, Intel core 2 duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00ghz x 2, mobile intel gm4 express graphics, and a 320 gb sata hard drive. I put in 8 gb RAM, i7-3630QM Processor, 500 gb hard drive, and blu-ray player/burner and it came out to be $1,455 at ZaReason. Doesn't sound to bad to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Beans

Re: buying a new computer, need advice.

Dell's Ubuntu PCs are not available in every market. I cannot get them where I am. If you pick a model that ships with Ubuntu in other markets, you should have a good machine for running Ubuntu, although there may be some issues. The best thing is to check the Ubuntu Desktop certified hardware database http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

Beans

Ok I missed the point that you needed to avoid Windows altogether.

System76 has a good reputation and indeed I am thinking of getting a PC from them. But I think they use AMD or Nvidia.

Try this, too http://www.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Dell's Ubuntu PCs are not available in every market. I cannot get them where I am. If you pick a model that ships with Ubuntu in other markets, you should have a good machine for running Ubuntu, although there may be some issues. The best thing is to check the Ubuntu Desktop certified hardware database http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Ok I missed the point that you needed to avoid Windows altogether.

System76 has a good reputation and indeed I am thinking of getting a PC from them. But I think they use AMD or Nvidia.

Try this, too http://www.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed
    Awesome, I have heard a lot of good things about system76, I have also read that they will do custom orders if you call them... I might give them a call tomorrow and check for myself.

Beans

+1 for System76... I was looking at the Pangolin Performance back in December, but opted to save a couple of bucks, and went with a Toshiba L855-S5372. The Toshiba was a bargain as far as actual hardware goes - I got a quad core 2.4GHz i7 machine, with 6GB of memory, and Ivybridge.... but I also got Realtek drivers. Those drivers alone have made it impossible for me (maybe I'm doing something wrong) to connect to Wi-Fi on any other distro besides Ubuntu, and while I'm satisfied with 13.04 so far, I'd like to have the option to change my distro if/when I want.

I say all that, simply to let you know that System76 builds their machines to run Ubuntu,out of the box, but they never seem to have issues with running other distros flawlessly. In retrospect, I wish I had spent the extra $145, and gotten one of their machines - boxes built to run Linux. I hear they have spectacular customer service and support, so don't be hesitant to use them.

Beans

If you got ehough tech knowhow why not build your own?
    Thats what I did.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jjhiza View Post
    +1 for System76... I was looking at the Pangolin Performance back in December, but opted to save a couple of bucks, and went with a Toshiba L855-S5372. The Toshiba was a bargain as far as actual hardware goes - I got a quad core 2.4GHz i7 machine, with 6GB of memory, and Ivybridge.... but I also got Realtek drivers. Those drivers alone have made it impossible for me (maybe I'm doing something wrong) to connect to Wi-Fi on any other distro besides Ubuntu, and while I'm satisfied with 13.04 so far, I'd like to have the option to change my distro if/when I want.

I say all that, simply to let you know that System76 builds their machines to run Ubuntu,out of the box, but they never seem to have issues with running other distros flawlessly. In retrospect, I wish I had spent the extra $145, and gotten one of their machines - boxes built to run Linux. I hear they have spectacular customer service and support, so don't be hesitant to use them.
    That's what I keep hearing, I think I will be going with them. I need to call them and see if I can get some hardware that I want that they don't offer on the site customization.

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    If you got ehough tech knowhow why not build your own?
    Thats what I did.
    I could do this (I built a computer out of scrap parts that is not plugged up to my TV), but I have heard it is a lot more difficult with a laptop because you have to find parts that will fit with each other. I would have to find a motherboard that would fit with the casing I got or vice versa. Is it as difficult as I have heard to find these coinciding parts?

Beans

If laptop no I wouldnt bother, prefab is pretty much it.
    What you may want to do though is to shop for refurbished or preused laptops if you dont want win8

Beans

yeah, I just kinda want the warranty. I have bad luck with new bought items messing up, every single freaking time. Even this current computer when I first had it, the ethernet didn't work and dell had to change the motherboard. Can I get a warranty with a refurbished system?

Beans
    Hidden!

I think there are great differences between different countries and vendors. In my country you usually get one year warranty on second hand computers (unless it is very cheap), and with electronic equipment, the first few months are crucial. If the computer survives the first year it will probably run until it is obsolete. Maybe you need to change the battery and the hard disk drive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast