Thread: Help with services at boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Help with services at boot

I have a couple of services starting at boot (I used sudo update-rc.d SERVICE defaults).

These services can take about 5 - 10 seconds to load, druing this time my system waits for them.

Can I make it load more than 1 service at a time or is it best to start the service after X loads?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Help with services at boot

Quote Originally Posted by SlugSlug View Post
    I have a couple of services starting at boot (I used sudo update-rc.d SERVICE defaults).

These services can take about 5 - 10 seconds to load, druing this time my system waits for them.

Can I make it load more than 1 service at a time or is it best to start the service after X loads?
    Same question here;
    Using Boot-Up Manager ("Bum") isn't as much efficient as I thought. They're probably a lot of services that can be still managed.

I've found out that delaying the startup applications after the login speed the process a lot. Here's how you do it:

Let's say I want to slow down Guake Terminal of 10 second, I'll put this:
    Code:
    bash -c "sleep 10 && guake"
    Simply enough. Just make just in the Guake settings that "start at login" is unchecked. Otherwise, it'll always had a "shutter" entry with no delay, to the Startup Applications.

All my applications are delayed a little now (Especially Dropbox. Do this: bash -c "sleep 50 && dropbox start -i"). I guess I can get even more speed..

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hiya thanks for your reply.

My setup is a little different, I believe in your case the services are dependent upon you loggin into X where as I need mine to load without logging into but after X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SlugSlug View Post
    Hiya thanks for your reply.

My setup is a little different, I believe in your case the services are dependent upon you loggin into X where as I need mine to load without logging into but after X
    I understand;

There are programs that start after login (Those you can delay with my method), and the services that start after/before Plymouth splash. I want to disable/delay some of these services, as well.