Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're nearly there and i'm impressed!

Beans

Re: We're nearly there and i'm impressed!

Yes Ubuntu 13.04 is shaping up good and i like it. Too bad Ubuntu 12.04 can't use Unity from Ubuntu 13.04.

Will be interesting to see if Unity Next can compete with Unity in Ubuntu 13.04 that is Compiz based right from the start.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am very impressed with 13.04. I felt a bit underwhelmed this cycle, but that's because my system has been near completely stable since the toolkit was uploaded.

The UI is very snappy, and I've been rather pleased with all of the minute features that have made my workflow a lot more intuitive (quicklist changes, HUD improvements, and a faster dash).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but full-disk encryption didn't have that beautiful plymouth screen either!
    Last edited by Mathor; April 23rd, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Besides a kernel header problem since mid March all is well . 12.10 was good release for my hardware and so is 13.04 . Compiz is running very well and though I only dabble with effects I have no fear of using them and have. Unity on 12.04 seems worlds away from the current version.
    Amen to that my friend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mathor View Post
    I am very impressed with 13.04. I felt a bit underwhelmed this cycle, but that's because my system has been near completely stable since the toolkit was uploaded.

The UI is very snappy, and I've been rather pleased with all of the minute features that have made my workflow a lot more intuitive (quicklist changes, HUD improvements, and a faster dash).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but full-disk encryption didn't have that beautiful plymouth screen either!
    I've been running it for a bit over 2 months, and i was also amazed at the stability, other then a few quirks that developed along the way...the biggest ones were vlc media player losing sound (which was fixed in the updates within 2 or 3 days) and kernel installs getting hung up when installing with the software updater (which i fixed using the package manager and then it got straightened out within a few days also)...otherwise, it was great all the way...

I am curious, how was it for you during the earlier months, like the first 4 months...any serious problems? any major "borks" that caused you to have to re-install?
    I was wondering, because i am still trying to decide if i should just go final with 13.04 or continue with it into 13.10 development...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by carolin3 View Post
    Is it good for netbooks? cuz I had 12.10 on my netbook and it lagged alot, now I have 12.04 and it doesn't lag. I have a 6months old netbook
    Depens. If the desktop effects can be rendered natively, it should be fast, however, some netbooks have those horrible Intel/PowerVR GPUs, for which Intel doesn't care to provide a decent driver. These machine would be really slow compared to 12.04 with Unity-2d. I'd recommend testing from a live usb before upgrading.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I have been very pleasantly surprised with 13.04. I've used Ubuntu on and off since 7.04, and this is the first release I have used that has been flawless out of the box.

I can't say I "like" Unity yet, but it's certainly gotten leaps and bounds better than the earlier releases and this release has provided a feature set that I've grown to use productively without even realizing it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I've been running it for a bit over 2 months, and i was also amazed at the stability, other then a few quirks that developed along the way...the biggest ones were vlc media player losing sound (which was fixed in the updates within 2 or 3 days) and kernel installs getting hung up when installing with the software updater (which i fixed using the package manager and then it got straightened out within a few days also)...otherwise, it was great all the way...

I am curious, how was it for you during the earlier months, like the first 4 months...any serious problems? any major "borks" that caused you to have to re-install?
    I was wondering, because i am still trying to decide if i should just go final with 13.04 or continue with it into 13.10 development...
    I must say that I have had no problems since the beginning, other than a few minor glitches earlier on. I did not have a single showstopping bug in the entire cycle, and no kernel panics at all.

However, my most recent computer is only about 8 months old (It was preloaded with Windows 8) and has 8GB RAM, A10 AMD processor with Radeon graphics. I do not think that my performance will necessarily hold true for you, as I have heard of a lot of pretty experienced testers on this forum who have had a lot of showstoppers along the way with their hardware.

The Precise cycle was the harshest cycle I have experienced, though on a computer that is 6 years old. Often I would run updates and find that my system would not boot at all.
    The Quantal cycle was relatively quiet, and I would say that about 75 percent of the cycle my system was relatively stable.i

That being said, I think this next cycle could be very shaky, as there are going to be a lot of issues with the implementation of Mir and the implementation of the converged codebase of unity-next and unity into a single unity. I'm not going to say that Ubuntu cannot maintain a near-stable daily release for this entire cycle, but it seems unlikely to me.

Beans
    Hidden!

I must say that I have had no problems since the beginning, other than a few minor glitches earlier on. I did not have a single showstopping bug in the entire cycle, and no kernel panics at all.
    Ditto. Although in my case, I had installed it on a four-and-a-half year-old Dell laptop, so it isn't really the latest hardware. I installed Raring right after the release of 12.10, so I've run it for just about the entire release cycle. I've had no major problems, and very few minor ones (if they even rose to the level of "minor"). We have just a few days until product release, and I guess it's possible some problem could creep in, but the odds are very slim. For me - and I know your mileage may vary - this appears to be on track to be the most solid and reliable version of Ubuntu I've ever used. I can't say enough good about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Couldn't agree more mcellius...13.04 looks to be a stellar release for sure...Appreciate both of your inputs...and mathor i also have a relatively recent computer as well... It's a 17" Toshiba Laptop which i use as my desktop computer and it's got i3 intel processor with intel graphics...usually when i heard about problems they weren't with the basic intels and amds...and usually more so when the stock drivers weren't being used...with intel there is no optional driver, anyway...Sounds like you both had a good experience all the way through, although i guess mathor is wondering about the rather huge changes coming in 13.10 so i understand what he is saying...it is sort of tempting to continue on....though hard to judge the possible risk...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

yes concurring with all of you

excellent performance..... i too got on around Karmic .... and 12.04 and 13.04 very solid and i have had 13.04 for last 2 months and good good

not a fan of Unity it still lets me fallback very easily

a question tho

in the last 2 or 3 versions no format functions for usb or am i missing something?

All in all excellent thanx to all those coding men and women.... XL ENT!!
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast