Work In progress - NAS with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
As the title states i am running an old Dell Optiplex 745 with Ubuntu 12.04Lts, running without a hitch as of right now but fixing/adding features.
1. Running Headless - Able to connect through main windows 7 machine with TightVNC - Done
2. Able to share HD on ubuntu with the rest of network on SAMBA - Done
3. Run Plex and have pointed to media folders - Done but had to create folders directly on the file system so plex would see them (If i can be more efficient i would like some pointers)
4. Automatically run SABnzbd and set downloaded folders - Done
5. Automatically run Sickbeard and have folders pre-defined on where the shows are downloaded
6. Automatically run couch potato to watch for specific movies to download and have them downloaded to specific folder for movies
7. Work in progress auto start deluge, have it watch dropbox folder for torrent files from all the above or from other machines on network
a. Issue with not being able to start the same instance of Deluge that has all the torrents already stored etc.
b. Issue with deluge not saving files to where was selected in UI and with command line
c. Only able to create 3 labels atm through the gui
8. Have NAS automatically connect to VPN service
1. Able to access files downloaded over the internet
a. Wondering if dynamic DNS would be best or setup an FTP file server
2. Eventually upgrade system to a fully fledged build specific to a computer to be an NAS
3. Venture into creating a raid system (My Understanding the best would be raid 10)
4. Working with Handbrake & dropfolders so the google tv can play everything without compatibility issues
5. Wondering about efficiency of different desktop environment besides cinnamon but similar enough to unity that i can still use the guides already set up
6. Wanting to be able to control computer from phone so if temps spike or server needs to be reset i don't have to be home to do it
7. Eventually have a front end to replace the google tv so not so techy family can navigate
Thats it for now for my machine, i know some items can be considered novice but at the same time tweaking everything to work correctly and in sync has taken many hours of tweaking .conf files etc. If anyone has any suggestions/Comments/random outbursts just hollar and ill point ya in the right direction. My biggest concerns are the ones with deluge and doing some final tweaks with getting access through the internet
Thank you for the help in advance. Gotta love the community with Ubuntu, its what keeps me coming back.