Thread: Rackspace LAMP Server create keyserver

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Rackspace LAMP Server create keyserver

I created an apt repository on my rackspace server by rsyncing a local repository. I want to create a PGP keyserver like keyserver.ubuntu.com but I can't find any documents on how to do it... I can't install anything, I don't have root access so I want something that I can rsync to it or something like that. Is this possible?

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Patrick Thomas (Timberwolf)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Rackspace LAMP Server create keyserver

The Universe repository has the package sks, though there might be others. I found a fair number of documents about setting up a key server doing a regular web search. Here is one that applies to SKS:

http://www.bauer-power.net/2010/05/h...server-in.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Like I said in the OP I don't have root, because I am not the server owner. I just use it. All I have is SFTP/Rsync access. The user account I have is a standard user, not even sudo access. So I guess its not possible... I was hoping I could do like I did with the apt repository.

Sincerely,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Doubt it. You would need either root access or sudo rights to install anything. Ask the person responsible for the server what you can do.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is not as nice as installing with APT, it's more work to maintain, but you could grab the source and try to install it to your home directory. I've done that with other packages before.

You might be able to get the source via apt-get source sks or else directly from the sks project web site. However, looking at the code I don't see any obvious way to tell it to install in a particular part of the file system. The README file doesn't have that info and there is no INSTALL file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Savannah

There is also a development mailing list for SKS over at GNU Savannah:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/sks/

It might be able to help you install SKS to a non-standard, unprivileged location in your account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    It is not as nice as installing with APT, it's more work to maintain, but you could grab the source and try to install it to your home directory. I've done that with other packages before.

You might be able to get the source via apt-get source sks or else directly from the sks project web site. However, looking at the code I don't see any obvious way to tell it to install in a particular part of the file system. The README file doesn't have that info and there is no INSTALL file.

There is also a development mailing list for SKS over at GNU Savannah:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/sks/

It might be able to help you install SKS to a non-standard, unprivileged location in your account.
    There is only one problem there. To my knowledge the server only has port 80 forwarded.

Sincerely,