Thread: CPU Architecture

CPU Architecture

Hello Gurus!
    I've been testing Ubuntu (and environments) for a while now and I'm looking to do the cleanest install possible.

My Question in fact is, what is my CPU Architecture based on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570k CPU.

AMD64 or i386, other?

If I'm not mistaken it is a 64-bits system.
    Is downloading Ubuntu-Desktop-64bits good enough?

Thanks a Lot!

Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: CPU Architecture

It's 64bit you have there

It's called AMD64 due to historical reasons. They are both based on the intel instruction set.

You want to download the 64 bit version.

If you decide to install it, clone your existing hard drive before if you can.

Be aware of UEFI issues. I'm sure oldfred will be along at some point to explain them to you.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 22nd, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Okay! Thanks a lot, for the fast reply!

Concerning UEFI issues, I'm using a Gigabyte Motherboard booting with a BIOS setup. That should be all right.

Do you have any hardware compatibility hints for me?

Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

since you know that much about your motherboard/motherbord i assume it is a custom build, i don't think a retail motherboard will have the "secure boot" crap enabled by default as it would prevent installing xp and windows 7 (i think it would prevent 7, not 100% sure)

i also doubt a OEM is going to give you a unlocked CPU like a 3570k

you should be able to use uefi boot if you wanted to, using BIOS works as well

i doubt you are using integrated graphics with that cpu so you may want to add the xswat ppa for newer GPU drivers for your Nvidia/AMD gpu, i am sure you have a gaming class gpu in there
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Thanks again for your support and advice.

You're right it is a custom desktop, originally build to work under Windows 7.
    Now I'm really looking for a Linux system.

I think that might be an excellent idea for the xswat ppa, since it is Nvidia card.

Can someone explain me the big differences between UEFI and BIOS?