Thread: Team fortress 2 display settings on low on a new computer build.

Beans

Team fortress 2 display settings on low on a new computer build.

Hello, I recently built a new computer (my first) using an AMD A10-5800K with a MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 motherboard and other parts... it's running ubuntu 12.04but while playing team fortress 2 on steam I found the recommended setting for detail was low. Everything else was at high except that... Which seems odd for what is on the APU. Shouldn't that game run at all max setting with that APU? Thanks.
    As an added note I did not do anything in the BIOS, just installed Ubuntu and went on my way. I don't see how that would affect anything... But I'm no expert.

Justin
    Last edited by sandyd; April 22nd, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: font

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Team fortress 2 display settings on low on a new computer build.

Did you try setting them to high and test the results?

Beans

Yeah but then when I turned the edges looked blurry. So I think there is an issue elsewhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

proprietary drivers are installed?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Well, I looked for additional drivers and I installed the first one out of three listed. All the descriptions looked about the same from what I can remember. So I should just try out each of the drivers until I find the one that works the best? Thanks.
    Also do you even need to go into the BIOS on a new computer build? I just put everything together and installed Ubuntu and went from there. Should I have gone into the BIOS and did something else? The board is an MSI and the manual is a little unclear, and I don't want to fix something that isn't broken. I don't see how the BIOS and video card settings are related but I'm no expert.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What resolution are you playing at? That is an integrated GPU (well APU technically but...) and by nature is NOT powerful enough to play at high settings, 1920x1080, etc.

You will only be able to run the game at about the same FPS as you would run it under Windows 7 for example. Test and compare and report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by justin fakeman View Post
    Well, I looked for additional drivers and I installed the first one out of three listed. All the descriptions looked about the same from what I can remember. So I should just try out each of the drivers until I find the one that works the best? Thanks.
    yeah or maybe oyu will even need to use the latest one and install it manually. manual isntall is not difficult what is difficult is that oyu would then need to install it manually on each kernel update (unles you make a script or something).
    Also do you even need to go into the BIOS on a new computer build? I just put everything together and installed Ubuntu and went from there. Should I have gone into the BIOS and did something else? The board is an MSI and the manual is a little unclear, and I don't want to fix something that isn't broken. I don't see how the BIOS and video card settings are related but I'm no expert.
    not really. i mean if everyhting works there is no reason to fiddle with BIOS. you could visit it to explore it a bit. and then don't save on exit.

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    What resolution are you playing at? That is an integrated GPU (well APU technically but...) and by nature is NOT powerful enough to play at high settings, 1920x1080, etc.
    and nature evolves. so some APU's have quite good chips nowadays (even some intel chips are not so bad as they used to be). they can run some games quite well, especially these games that are really not the latest ones.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thanks I appreciate the help. I had to relocate the computer to a dedicated desk because the TV wasn't cutting it, looked blurry no matter what. Anyways now with a 22 inch monitor and another driver I got the texture detail to medium (the steam recommended setting) so thats fine for me on the highest resolution at 16:9, I forget the eact numbers.
    On a side note while playing offline the game runs fine no lag but while online it lags badly. My ping is routinely 17 or so, and my internet connection is 36 Mb/s so I dont think I'm the issue so do you have any advice on trying to reduce that. Thanks again.