Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Windows 7 challenge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: My Windows 7 challenge

I like Windows 7 but I have had several BSODs on three computers using that OS. On the other hand, I have been using Linux since 2007 and have never had a kernel panic. My wife and I have been using Windows 8 for several months and it seems more stable than WIndows 7.
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

To be brutally honest, I like Win 7 a lot and have found it to be more stable than Ubuntu. Just sayin'...
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Win8 superior?
    Only on touchscreens, I have a desktop
    You're one of those people who don't understand Win8. It works just fine on a desktop. It has a "desktop mode". Like someone else mentioned, I installed a 3rd party Start menu that bypasses Metro, and now Windows 8 is a lot like Windows 7, only faster, more stable, and more features. Windows 8 is better than Windows 7, even on a desktop. It's not better enough to justify spending the money on an upgrade. But if you have a choice, Windows 8 is the clear winner, even if you hate Metro.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Exactly, i think MadmanRB missed the point, windows 8 is faster, more stable and has more features then Windows 7 and works great on the desktop ONCE you bypass the metro interface completely by installing a 3rd party "start menu" such as start8 (which is only $5 to buy and i hear is excellent) or one of the free alternatives...

I also agree that as nice as the improvements are, wouldn't be worth the super expensive upgrade price...but if you are getting a new computer that already has it on there, then no problem, you can "fix" it easily (for desktop use)...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 22nd, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Beans

It's not that we're stuck on the ideology, it's that we constantly have to listen to combined hardcore-gamerz_artistz-wiv-skillz_wizkid-programmaz who tell us that Windows is better than Linux because they like to buy software they don't really need or use to any meaningful degree.

Windows 7 is ok. It even does some things better than Linux (VirtualBox performs better, for example).

However, we don't need it and the lack of respect that Microsoft has for the people who pay its way (i.e. us) or for the OEMs makes me not want to encourage them by giving them money. They're like cats: If you encourage them, they'll only come back.

That's not ideology. That's reciprocity.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

You missed the point of what i said. You thought i was viewing it through the prism of it's user interface.

This should make it clearer; what i was trying to say.

/technically/technologically

Kind regards
    What are your opinions regarding the functionality/practicality of windows 7 then?
    I always thought windows XP was the best (more modern windows OS) in that aspect.

Beans

I agree aswell i think windows 7 i great. I never use it myself anymore, only linux here. I'm probabaly the only one that like windows 8 metro...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by SifGrey View Post
    What are your opinions regarding the functionality/practicality of windows 7 then?
    I always thought windows XP was the best (more modern windows OS) in that aspect.
    There's no way XP is technologically better than 7. XP takes a lot of work to set up from scratch. 7 is so far advanced from XP, it's crazy. Plus there's the whole fact that XP didn't even use a hardware accelerated compositing window manager. DWM didn't come around until Vista. XP was great in its time because it was the first OS to merge the NT line with the home user line, and start to do away with DOS. But today, it's a corroded piece of dung that needs to die.

We can compare the individual aspects if there are some things better about XP that you want to point out. Functionally, Win7 adds and tweaks a lot that XP didn't have.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

I thought twice about the way I'd write my reply and I was afraid it was still ambiguous but when I said "I always thought windows XP was the best (more modern windows OS) in that aspect." I was speaking of practicality and functionality, not the technical side of it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SifGrey View Post
    I thought twice about the way I'd write my reply and I was afraid it was still ambiguous but when I said "I always thought windows XP was the best (more modern windows OS) in that aspect." I was speaking of practicality and functionality, not the technical side of it.
    I thought your post was quite clear.

To add my 2 cents: Windows 7 is a good OS, but it is a resource hog. Also, since coming to Linux I've found having a decent command line isn't something I like to be without.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast