Thread: Add to the Nautilus "Open with" options

Beans

Add to the Nautilus "Open with" options

I have two ebook readers (FBReader and Calibre) installed on my Ubuntu 12.04 system. FBReader is the default application for opening ebooks. I'd like to change that to Calibre, but Nautilus doesn't recognize Calibre as an application that can open ebook formats. If I right click on an ebook and choose "Open with" it only offers FBReader. If I click "Show other applications", it shows many others, but mostly they are not ebook related. It doesn't show Calibre as an option and I can't find any way to make it do so. For example, I can't find any way to type in the name of an application like "/usr/bin/calibre".

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Add to the Nautilus "Open with" options - sort of solved

I found a solution. I'm running Xubuntu which also installs Thunar as a file manager. Thunar did offer Calibre as a choice to open an ebook. After selecting it and then closing Calibre and Thunar, I tried again with Nautilus and Voila! Nautilus now also offered Calibre.

I presume that Nautilus and Thunar share a config file somewhere, though I don't know where it is.

Does anyone know what the right solution would be without having to install Thunar?

Thanks.