Thread: home completely and permanently erased in xubuntu 12.04 amd64

Beans

home completely and permanently erased in xubuntu 12.04 amd64

Hello all,

I am a non-newbie user with a RAID1-LVM with xubuntu 12.04 amd64.

Few days ago, my system got crazy.

I inserted a USB stick and trash some stuff out of it in order to make some room.

In thunar (maybe even in gnome), trash for usb device is on the device itself; in the user trash (i.e. in the home) there is only a link, therefore, in order to really free some space I deleted permanently all the files that I had just trashed and some other stuff around...

all of a sudden I can hear the HD groaning/spinning and the memory use going up and down... just the time to have a clue of what application was so cumbersome (since I did not start anything) that I noticed folders in the home disappearing one after the other and the trash is not available anymore.

I immediatly shutdown the system. Once I switched on, the home is empty. No settings, no trash, no folders, nothing. I've been looking in the root's trash, but it is empty too...

Luckily I have an external USB HD always synchronized to the HD, but...still... How could it be possible? Some nasty stuff in the USB stick? I have been using debian or ubuntu since more than 10 years, I know how to behave: I was just erasing some files with thunar, nothing more...

Any clue? THANKS!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: home completely and permanently erased in xubuntu 12.04 amd64

wow thats scary
    i suppose you have dropped some vital package/dependency on the way to push the system under panic

well, if you have an easy way to restore your stuff from a backup, then dont worry and pay attention then, otherwise testdisk might help.