Thread: How to jail(kit) each users into their individual home directories using bash script?

Beans

How to jail(kit) each users into their individual home directories using bash script?

I am using Ubuntu 12.10, Apache2.2, PHP-FPM. My aim is to set up a working (free) shared hosting system, that means I want to create new Linux users and jail (equals to chroot, I guess) them into their home directories so they absolutely won't have permission to touch the main file system or other users' files. I set each virtualhost's DocumentRoot to a public_html folder in the home directories.
    I have already done all of this, expect jailing. I looked after the topic and I found Jailkit that looked pretty easy, but unfortunately I couldn't get it worked. I followed this tutorial but except /home/jail I used /home/tom (tom is the example user) but when I logged in as tom, I could go up to the root directory. Moreover, I set individual PHP-FPM pools to each virtualhosts for security so if you open tom.mywebsite.com and see who runs PHP ( echo `whoami`; ) it will print out tom. The other thing I set for them is open_basedir (of PHP). I don't really know what does it do and does it really counts (if I set chroot) or is it enough for now, but I set it. So the long and the short, problem is no matter if I set proftpd or other ftp programs to don't let USER going up in folders and browse, there will always be PHP where he can do it.

So the task: set chroot for each users (using Linux bash script) so don't allow them to browse other users' files and don't let them to crash system.
    Thank you for your constructing comment and help in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to jail(kit) each users into their individual home directories using bash scr

I remember playing with jailkit a long time ago and I think your directory structure is incorrect. I think it needs to be /home/tom/home/tom or something like that. (Yes I know its redundant, however the jail can go cd higher than /home/tom. Please re-read the jailkit instructions. Although I did it a long time a go, the scripts worked as instructed, however it took a little bit of reading. jailkit hasn't been updated a lot recently -- not that that is a bad thing -- it just means that I don't think they really changed their structure for setting up jails by adding new features. Also the jailkit forums do get a reply if you post -- its just not as fast as the Ubuntu forums. I still believe oliver (the maintainer of the scripts) still responds on a fairly regular basis.

Beans

Re: How to jail(kit) each users into their individual home directories using bash scr

Firstly, thanks for your reply. I have also tried that, but it didn't work for me. However, the tutorial uses /home/jail as chroot directory so I don't undersand why is it wrong. Anyway, thanks for recommending Jailkit forums, I will definitely start a new topic there.