Thread: Fullscreen similar tu Mac OS Lion?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Question Fullscreen similar tu Mac OS Lion?

Is there any way to use fullscreen like in Mac OS Lion?

I hate that top bar taking space when I use Chrome. Its useless, it shows duplicated info.

If there is no way to use a similar fulsscreen mode, is there a way to combine the clock, wifi and the rest of top bar icons into the left bar? Like in Windows.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Fullscreen similar tu Mac OS Lion?

A lot of applications have a fullscreen mode, usually hitting F11 will activate it.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Yes, but then I need to hit F11 again to go back to the OS, that's not what I mean.

Thanks anyway!

Any other idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What's the problem with a half-a-second keystroke? And if that's not what you mean, then what DO you mean? It doesn't help if you don't tell us your problem.

I say: my car's headlights are broken
    you say: did you try turning them on?
    I say: then i have to turn them off later, That's not what I mean.

Also, please realize that most of us are not familiar with other OSes like OSX or Windows.

Beans
    Distro

You're right, sorry Kopkins.

Mac OS Lion has fullscreen mode that lets you change from program to program with just a gesture of your trackpad or a combination of buttons like like alt tab. It's similar to the iPad, where you can browse through the opened apps swiping with four fingers left and right.

If there's nothing like that, I ask about integrating the top bar into the left bar like in Windows. Microsoft Windows has only one bar at the bottom of the screen where it shows icons for programs and also the clock and other icons like wifi, blutooth, etc.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No problem, it's okay. Just wanted to get a little more information. Previously I had set up keybindings to switch workspaces with. (have you done anything with workspaces yet?) Basically multiple desktops you can switch between. OSX has them, I think they call them spaces. For me it was ALT+ARROW-KEYS to change workspaces. You could try setting each window to fullscreen on different workspaces and then using a keybind to switch between them. I'm not sure if they would stay fullscreen though after you switch.

There are other Desktop Environments besides unity though, perhaps one that would lend itself better to your use. As you probably know there are dozens to choose from. It's fairly easy to try different ones, for example something that only has one bar. LXDE only has a bar along the bottom and is not very big. You could try a liveCD of lubuntu if you want to check it out or test it out by installing on your existing Ubuntu. I like tiling window managers, they make great use of space, but are VERY different from OSX or Unity, Gnome, LXDE ,etc. Most window controls are through keybindings.

Live CD's (or USB's to save CD's) are usually easy to try, so you could find some with different Desktop Environment to try out those types of setups. If you're on a mac though you might not be able to use USB. I know I can't. Lot's of people like KDE because you can move everything, It's very customizable. (for example you could have only a left bar/launcher)

Good luck!

Kopkins

Edit: I just remembered, Gnome reminds me of the way OSX is laid out (not a clone of it but similar in some ways). The desktop is very minimal, you only have a top bar. If you want a launcher you have to press a key or the hotcorner. then You'll get the launcher and apps.
    Last edited by Kopkins; May 3rd, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Beans

Something else you could do is install gnome or gnome-shell (sudo apt-get install gnome-shell) and use a couple addons to get rid of the top bars (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/354/maximus/ and https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi.../hide-top-bar/). Then everything will be in full-screen and all you have to do is put your mouse in the top left corner or hit the super key to get to overview mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you looked at cinnamon or mate? They're two forks of Gnome used in Linux Mint (not officially supported by Ubuntu, but still solid) that have only one panel, located at the bottom. I've experimented with both in Mint, but haven't installed either in Ubuntu. There are directions for adding mate from a PPA here. If you're using 13.04, cinnamon is now included in the Universe repository.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!