Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 - dumb question - how do I get a newline in a forum post?

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04 - dumb question - how do I get a newline in a forum post?

Just noticed - my Windows 8 via IE allows me to just press enter as normal to get a newline in creating a forum post, however using xubuntu 12.04 there doesn't seem to be a newline. I know it's got to be something simple, and probably some setting I haven't done correctly. Can you help a dumb guy out? Thanks!
    Last edited by squakie; June 26th, 2013 at 03:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.04 - dumb question - how do I get a newline in a forum post?

Thread moved to forum feedback and help.

Can't you hit enter in xubuntu as well ?

Maybe a forum bug ? it's not affecting me though.
    Last edited by matt_symes; April 21st, 2013 at 03:51 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I may have it backwards! It appears it's IE on Win 8 that isn't generating the cr/lf - like it should right here - this should start a new paragraph but doesn't. so......now I've probably been asking in the wrong place. Sorry!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

This comes up occasionally, and continues to baffle us - or at least me! As you can see, most people have no trouble adding newlines, but a very few do. So far, none of those who have mentioned this problem have come back to give us feedback so it's been difficult to investigate this. But you have given a clue - so thanks for that.

Last time this came up I did a google search for this problem in vbulletin and there was one hit describing this where the poster was using a particular version of IE in a forum running VB. That poster solved it by switching from WYSIWYG to Source Mode in the advanced editor. You can do that with the blue A/A icon top left of the advanced editor toolbar. Could you try that for us? Try test posts using both WYSISWYG and source mode, and let us know which version of IE you are using.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

let's give this a try and see....

YEP!!!!! - I now have cr/lf!!!!

Thanks!

I don't know if that helps you isolate anything or not, but it sure seems to work!

Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16540

Running via taskbar on desktop in Windows 8 (I hate those tiles so I don't access the net via the tiles).

Hope that helps in some small way.

Again, THANKS!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is a test without it toggled.....nope - no cr/lf. So, it appears to be that mode with the version of Internet Explorer and Windows 8 (I think it's just something like home premium - it's not "pro" or whatever they would call it now).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks squakie. That'll be a great help.

Another question. Did your test posts come from a phone, tablet, laptop or desktop ?

That may or may be not a factor but it would be useful to know.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    let's give this a try and see....

YEP!!!!! - I now have cr/lf!!!!

Thanks!

I don't know if that helps you isolate anything or not, but it sure seems to work!

Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16540
    Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    This is a test without it toggled.....nope - no cr/lf.
    @squakie, thanks. So to be absolutely clear, using Internet Explorer 10 with the message editor in WYSIWYG mode prevents you from adding newlines? We'll bear that in mind next time sometime brings this up. To be honest, I'm not sure there's anything we can do at this end except advise people posting from Windows to use another browser, or to use source mode in the editor if they are unable to use another browser, such as in a work environment.

As a part-aside, I always use source mode in the editor, preferring to see any BBCode I've added and then always preview my posts before submitting them to make sure they look OK. I find WYSIWYG mode to be more trouble than it's worth, but that's a personal preference.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've been doing the posting from a Dell laptop if it makes any difference. I'm about ready to load Firefox just because I've gotten so used to it anyway and I'd be willing to bet it won't have the problem I'll do that later and let you know what shows up. BTW - would there be anyway at forum login to check the browser id (like we do on web pages) and set a variable of some sort to reflect to use the source mode (perhaps that variable is already there?) ?

I had the same problem (and a similar problem with tabs) with Firefox under some Ubuntu and started a testing thread to determine the nature of the problem a year ago. Read the first post (which had a bunch of newlines and tabs in it as posted, though you won't see them) and you will see it is exactly the same issue:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1962901

My conclusions and how to deal with the issue are summarised in post 14 here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post11863757

It's not which browser you use - it's how you have your preferences set (possibly how they defaulted) or what add ons you installed in them.

Elsewhere in that thread is another solution by bodhi.zazen, elaborated later by cariboo907.

It's possible of course you have found something new, but the symptoms are exactly the same so I'd bet the cause is also. Check that out anyway.

And by the way, it is far from being a dumb question.
    Last edited by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added about tabs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast