Thread: ATI 8750m

Beans

ATI 8750m

hey all, i have bought a new laptop with a 8750m ati card and windows 8.when i started it up i immediatly installed ubuntu. where can i download the drivers for my graphics card?? ubuntu says it uses my onboard graphic card (ivy intel).
    I couldnt found any info on the site i dont know if it will break my pc if i use my intel onboard card. I also want to play wow through wine, but u can't because Ubuntu doesn't uses my video card.

regards
    Jordy
    Last edited by moepkid; April 20th, 2013 at 11:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ati drivers

Hello!

It looks like you have hybrid ATI/Intel graphics then and you are in for some frustration, I'm afraid. The OEMs have not given much support to Linux for these systems.

You should probably take a look here to start. This will give you some indication of what others have done to get things to work

Your next stop should be this.

I wish you the best of luck. This is a difficult problem across the Linux landscape, not just Ubuntu.

Cheers!
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans

Thanks, but do i break my laptop if i continue to use it without my anti card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You won't break your laptop.

My understanding of hybrid graphics on Linux is that you can still install the ATI driver and use your ATI card 100% of the time (like what everyone did before hybrid graphics were invented) or you can choose not to install that driver and just use the Intel card 100% of the time. Those are easy. The only difficult thing is getting the hybrid graphics to switch between Intel and ATI to save that small amount of power.

If you don't think you'll need the extra battery life from being able to fall back to Intel graphics, then feel free to just install the ATI driver from Software Sources (Ubuntu 12.10: Ubuntu Software Center > Edit menu > Software Sources) or Additional Drivers (Ubuntu 12.04: type Additional Drivers into the Dash). If you are not offered the ATI driver from those places your card is a little too new to be automatically detected by Ubuntu, but you can download the official ATI driver from the AMD website.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You won't break your laptop.

My understanding of hybrid graphics on Linux is that you can still install the ATI driver and use your ATI card 100% of the time (like what everyone did before hybrid graphics were invented) or you can choose not to install that driver and just use the Intel card 100% of the time. Those are easy. The only difficult thing is getting the hybrid graphics to switch between Intel and ATI to save that small amount of power.

If you don't think you'll need the extra battery life from being able to fall back to Intel graphics, then feel free to just install the ATI driver from Software Sources (Ubuntu 12.10: Ubuntu Software Center > Edit menu > Software Sources) or Additional Drivers (Ubuntu 12.04: type Additional Drivers into the Dash). If you are not offered the ATI driver from those places your card is a little too new to be automatically detected by Ubuntu, but you can download the official ATI driver from the AMD website.
    So there are drivers for my card, but where exactly do i download them? Can you please give me step by step instructions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by moepkid View Post
    So there are drivers for my card, but where exactly do i download them? Can you please give me step by step instructions?
    You can get drivers from AMD.com. I can't give you step-by-step instructions because I use an Nvidia graphics card, sorry. The AMD website should give you a set of instructions, or you could Google for "ubuntu 12.10 ati driver".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: ATI 8750m

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1917897

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450

try one or another, but hbrid graphic intel/amd are a really a bad choise for linux i know that (i sell my laptop because of that)