Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dlink DWA -111 USB Wifi card on Ubuntu 12.10 in Vmware workstation

Beans

Dlink DWA -111 USB Wifi card on Ubuntu 12.10 in Vmware workstation

I am trying to make my Dlink DWA-111 work on Ubuntu 12.10 in vmware workstation. since Vmware doesn't recognize my integrated wifi card as a wifi card, I changed to a USB one. This one is recognized in windows 8, but when I launch my Ubuntu VM, it doesn't work at all. I'm still getting connected.
    Disabling the USBb from the host and activating it on the Vm:
    lsusb
    shows me the dlink usb card

> lsmod show me the rt73 module

>iwconfig, ifconfig, iwlist shows nothing.
    I tried many solutions found on Google and forums as compiling drivers, getting ndiswrapper, ndisgtk. ndiswrapper -l shows me my driver with the ID of the device but when I enter sudo modprobe ndiswrapper I got:

FATAL:Module ndiswrapper not found. and still no wifi on my Ubuntu.
    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Dlink DWA -111 USB Wifi card on Ubuntu 12.10 in Vmware workstation

Please try:
    Code:
    echo "options rt73usb nohwcrypt=y" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt73usb.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv rt73usb
    sudo modprobe -v rt73usb
    Thanks

Beans

here is the result

for echo "options rt73usb nohwcrypt=y" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt73usb.conf
    Code:
    options rt73usb nohwcrypt=y
    and for sudo modprobe -v rt73usb

Code:
    insmod /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00lib.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2x00usb.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/lib/crc-itu-t.ko 
    insmod /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.ko nohwcrypt=y

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Can you connect know?
    If not please copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back, click on the paper clip and attach the netinfo.txt file.

If you do not have ethernet either then follow the directions at this link for running the script without internet.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12350385
    Thanks

Beans

here u are for the netinfo file...
    I took a loook at the file and I found a difference between lsusb in the file and when I wrote it to a terminal.
    In a Terminal, lsusb shows me my usb card:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 000: ID 07d1:3c06 D-Link System DWA-111 802.11bg Wireless Adapter [Ralink RT2571W]
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 413c:8162 Dell Computer Corp. Integrated Touchpad [Synaptics]
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 413c:8160 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 365 Bluetooth
    Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The driver is the correct one, but the adaptor is not shown at all in the file.

That is the exact command in the terminal or from the script it should give the same results.

Did you have the device capatured in the VM when you ran the script?

I have an adaptor that uses that same driver and it works great with that parameter.

Why do you need it to work in the vm when you can connect through the host?
    Thanks

Beans

between the command in terminal and the script's result there is a difference as you can see...I ran the command on the terminal just after the end of the script
    I can connect through the host using wired connection, that's what I'm doing now...My aim on ubuntu is to do some pentesting and other network scanning stuff...the problem is my networks adresses are 192.168.1.xxx and with the wired connection my ip adress on ubuntu is as 192.168.71.xxx........so when I start a scanner, to which interface should he listen and which host, the VM or the real host...SInce I got not result on listening to the ip adress of the Vm, I thought that is a matter of connection way...And as I saw in several forums and resources on the internet, the wired connection won't give me the same results as if my network card was directly bridged to the network....
    Correct me if I'm wrong
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have never done pentesting so I do not know about that.

Your vm should have the same ip address as your host.

Make sure your adaptor is captured by the vm then run the wireless script again and post the results of the netinfo.txt file again the one you need to post will have a number in the name since it will be a second file with the same name.
    Thanks

Beans

Here you are...the new file
    the vm has the same adress when we see it form the router, because I selected NAT: so that the host and the vm share the same ip address...but when entering ifconfig i got a different address, I think it's only between the vm and the host.
    still a diffrence between lsusb in the file and in the terminal
    Just something that i've just seen: when I use lsusb on terminal many times, the card doesn't show everytime.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

There are error messages in the file you posted but I have not found a solution.

Please make sure you can see the device with the terminal then run the script again to see if it can give us more information.

Try removing the device and then plug it back in go to network manger top right corner of the screen and make sure wireless is enabled and have your wired connection unplugged from your computer before doing any of these things.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast