Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Continue with 13.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Continue with 13.10?

So, seems my choice is to either continue and roll into 13.10 and use it until 14.04 arrives....
    That would exactly be what a user of the development branch would do. All that other stuff about having other installs of Ubuntu on other partitions or drives is just personal ways of using the development branch that different ones have worked out.

I am avoiding thinking too far beyond next year. I am aware of how fragile life is but more significantly I am not sure where Ubuntu will be going after 14.04/14.10.

Some said that Ubuntu 10.10 was the best Ubuntu. But what improvements does the best Ubuntu need? Well, they came up with Unity and multiarch all the improvements have been working towards those goals. My point is, if Gnome.org had stuck with Gnome 2 and Unity had never been thought of, then how different would 13.04 be from 10.10?

And at the moment convergence is the desired aim for Ubuntu. But where does Ubuntu go when convergence is achieved? I have no idea and hence I avoid thinking too far into the future. How different will 16.04 be from 14.04? Not much I think. So, now you know why I am not allowed to do too much thinking.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 20th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    And at the moment convergence is the desired aim for Ubuntu. But where does Ubuntu go when convergence is achieved? I have no idea and hence I avoid thinking too far into the future. How different will 16.04 be from 14.04? Not much I think. So, now you know why I am not allowed to do too much thinking.
    World domination.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    World domination.
    World domination?
    Just to prove the point we get told twice
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Just to prove the point we get told twice
    I clicked the Submit Reply button twice, just to make sure the message was posted, I have since jailed one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yep cariboo907 wanted to emphasize the point
    Yeah i would agree...world domination...Mark won't stop until ever store has replaced windows computers with linux and ubuntu (of course)

Hmmm...maybe i will go the daring route...roll (as it were) into 13.10 and do lots of "finger crossing" (lol) and hope i get a smooth ride that lasts until 14.04 final gets here...then i could re-install and go LTS to LTS...
    Worse case scenario is that i get a major bork in 13.10 which will require me to re-install (probably not likely but a slight possibility i suppose)...and then, i would RETREAT (re-install 13.04 final which i will have as a back up iso) and just run with it until 14.04 (even though there will be 3 months of no updates)...

See, i am trying to cut back on my need to re-install a lot...that's my "aim"...but also trying to stay fairly current as well...
    Sound like a good plan???

Beans

No using development release for main OS is not a good plan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I clicked the Submit Reply button twice, just to make sure the message was posted, I have since jailed one.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro

As long as Slutty Snail has a bleeding-edge rolling repo, I will be happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    No using development release for main OS is not a good plan.
    Maybe i should take a poll

Beans

I don't know what software you use but for example the first thing why i couldn't use Ubuntu development release as my main OS is lack of support for software i use. There always is something missing and sometimes it takes up to a month or two after the release for some of the software i use to gain official support for that release.

I just can't afford to turn up PC and to not boot to my main OS successfully just because i am on development release. This doesn't happen often lately but the risk is still there.

I usually don't use proprietary graphic drivers on development releases to avoid breakage but i do use them on some machines where it makes sense to use them after i install LTS or interim release.

Number of updates in development release is bigger and i don't like this too much on my main OS because i have better things to do than updating constantly. When i have the time for some fun then i boot development release and spend some time there...

Taking a poll wouldn't change all that...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast