Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Continue with 13.10?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Beans
    1,287
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Continue with 13.10?

    Well, now that 13.04 will be going final next Thursday, and i'd imagine that development will start on 13.10 by the following week or so, i need to decide whether to just let this go final and stay with it, or upgrade to the next development (13.10)...of course, we don't know quite yet whether the new easier option to continue will be ready yet, so i know it will be either by that method or the old upgrade method used until now...

    I'm actually using this as my ONLY install (though all my personal data such as photos, videos, documents, etc...are backed up on a flash storage drive)...and it does seem like development has generally become pretty reliable to use...(my observation since i installed it 2 months ago)...so, only question is: will it be safe for me to continue in 13.10 or is it still "risky business"...oh, i know a few minor things can come along here and there, but i am talking about the kind that like seriously borks your system and you end up re-installing again....

    So, input will be appreciated, in helping me to decide...do i play it super-safe or go into the next "adventure"

    I would love to be able to continue at least until 14.04 arrives....and perhaps at THAT point move over to an LTS to LTS 2 year installing cycle...but having trouble deciding...if i just stay final with 13.04, no doubt i will likely want to install 13.10 when it comes out since 13.04 will only have 9 months of updates...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 20th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    671
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Have a Tough Decision to Make

    IMH the 'stability' of any development project increases with time - you're noticing that 13.04 is pretty stable for your use now. Once 13.10 development starts being available it will be at the beginning of it's cycle - so it's possible that you'd experience much more instability than you'd be willing to endure. If your hard dive is large enough you might consider installing 13.04 final release in one partition and 13.10 in another partition, or a usb hard drive for trial.

    My experience with Linux is limited (since Feb), however I have 40 years computing experience.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    5,565

    Re: Have a Tough Decision to Make

    For what it's worth I have adopted a rule that has made life far less stressful for me.

    Real installs are limited to LTS releases only.

    All these xx.10 releases go into a VirtualBox guest so I can keep up with the crazy direction things seem to going towards these days.

    I will also install new xx.04 releases into a VBox guest and if there are things in it that I think warrant a real install I will do that but the bar is pretty high so ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,939
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Have a Tough Decision to Make

    Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    IMH the 'stability' of any development project increases with time - you're noticing that 13.04 is pretty stable for your use now. Once 13.10 development starts being available it will be at the beginning of it's cycle - so it's possible that you'd experience much more instability than you'd be willing to endure. If your hard dive is large enough you might consider installing 13.04 final release in one partition and 13.10 in another partition, or a usb hard drive for trial.
    +1. Me has a desktop with 2 hard drives. Stable on one dev on the other.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ayrshire.
    Beans
    42,410
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Have a Tough Decision to Make

    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    ...so, only question is: will it be safe for me to continue in 13.10 or is it still "risky business"...
    Can't imagine that anyone here can truly answer that one

    There would appear to be enough coming along that the risk of disruption is high, but the reality may well be very different.

    13.04 is shaping up to be a superb release, certainly on my machines it is performing sweet as a nut. So, I'll likely replace my 12.04 with it, and do a separate install of 13.04 to keep on the development release.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    699

    Re: Have a Tough Decision to Make

    Until releases system changes i recommend 1 stable release for your main operating system and 1 development release for fun.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,035
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Have a Tough Decision to Make

    Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Can't imagine that anyone here can truly answer that one

    There would appear to be enough coming along that the risk of disruption is high, but the reality may well be very different.

    13.04 is shaping up to be a superb release, certainly on my machines it is performing sweet as a nut. So, I'll likely replace my 12.04 with it, and do a separate install of 13.04 to keep on the development release.
    If the support time for non-LTS releases is now 9 mos., I'm going to keep an LTS and a development release. 13.04 is very stable for me as well but there's no assurance 13.10 will be as well. 12.10 was flaky on my machine, I would not have wanted to count on it for any sort of critical use.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    8,718
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Continue with 13.10?

    Here is a quote from Mark

    For those of you not aware, uploads to the edge get published in a special ‘pocket’, and only moved into the edge if they don’t generate any alarms from people who are on the VERY BLEEDING EDGE.
    He adds

    So you can use Raring (without that bleeding edge pocket) and get daily updates that are almost certain not to bork
    you.
    So, how do we get the very bleeding edge pocket? Activate the pre-release updates repository I guess. At present it is called raring-proposed. So, we can have Stable (LTS), Bleeding Edge or Very Bleeding Edge. Or a mixture. I am going for 13.04 as my stable OS. (Precise looks dated). This means I will have to upgrade to 13.10 and then 14.04 and then I will stick with 14.04 as my Stable OS and run whatever development branch is available. I agree with Mark:
    There is a real community that WANTS a rolling release, and the daily development release of Ubuntu satisfies this need already.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Beans
    1,287
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: Continue with 13.10?

    Great feedback so far...which i really appreciate

    Actually, Mark Shuttleworth seems to be saying is that the way they send updates to development now, is that it doesn't get the updates until they run through the developers first and no "alarm bells" go off (lol) as it were...
    so that us average folk here can use development and get updates that are almost certain not to bork (as he puts it)....

    Sounds like i would likely be ok if i continued on into 13.10 like this...I would re-install fresh when 14.04 arrives anyway, and i think at that point i might just want to go on a 2 year LTS to LTS cycle instead, to have a nice super-stable system...

    However, it would be nice if i could just continue using this until 14.04 arrives (which is a year away of course)...
    So, seems my choice is to either continue and roll into 13.10 and use it until 14.04 arrives....

    Or, just let 13.04 go final and work with it until 14.04 goes final, when i would be re-installing...accepting that there will be 3 months when i will get no updates at all....
    Not sure, which is the better way to go...

    The dual boot suggestion is a good one, but i'd prefer to just work with 1 installed system...and as far as just using 13.04 finalized and upgrading to 13.10 final might have a much greater possibility of borking or some kind of mess up then simply continuing with development...my impression is that development straight through is likely safer then doing a point to point (final versions) upgrade...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 20th, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    6,853
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Continue with 13.10?

    This is my KVM bleeding edge Ubutnu Raring workstation of several workstation in my home. Thats a small stack of hdds of several that I have (including laptop hdds) so I am never worrying about hardware or borking a system around here

    Raring has pulled up it's socks as of late. How can I tell ? Just look at the various form-factors on one of my workstations
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running 15.10 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •