Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wubi allocation vs. storage

Beans

Wubi allocation vs. storage

I installed Ubuntu via Wubi, and I selected 18 gigs for my installation size.

Does that mean I can only store 18 gigs of photos, music, videos, etc. within Ubuntu?
    Last edited by ScooterBoogles; April 21st, 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Wubi allocation vs. storage

Yes. But Wubi is not a full install, it's like Ubuntu with training wheels, something to test software on and/or try out Ubuntu for a while to see if you like it.

If you end up liking it, you'll want to do a real install. JMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterBoogles View Post
    I installed Ubuntu via Wubi, and I selected 18 gigs for my installation size.

Does that mean I can only store 18 gigs of photos, music, videos, etc. within Ubuntu?
    Jimafternoon is right. But to clarify, as long as you have free space on your hard disk or a USB drive, you can use it for storage of ordinary files. However, your home folder + operating system + programs cannot go above 18 gigabytes.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can access/store files under /host (the host NTFS partition) - the benefit is that it's more reliable and also Windows can easily access them. For any data you store in /home, I recommend backing it up in case one of the training wheels falls off. This is especially true for photos, videos etc. personal data that take up a lot of space and are generally precious - you don't want that to be stored on the virtual disk Wubi uses.

Beans

Great, thanks so much! I have two follow-up questions:

1) Which install method do you recommend using for the full install?
    2) Can you point me to some documentation for /host (NTFS partition) because I don't actually know what that means....it's noob country over here!

Really appreciate your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

1: To do a full install, first make sure you have unallocated space ready on your disk. Download the .iso, burn it to a dvd or usb and boot from it. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot or http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing for more instructions. It's best to use windows tools to shrink windows partitions. Windows Vista or 7 will give problems otherwise.
    2: A partition is a series of 0s and 1s on a disk, that can be interpreted as a file system with a directory tree. In there you can find files, which themselves consist of a series of 0s and 1s on a disk. In windows, maybe on the C or D partition (or drive, as it is called by windows), wherever you installed wubi, you can find the file root.disk. This is a file, nothing more than a series of 0s and 1s, that wubi interprets as a complete partition containing an entire file system, the Linux root file system. After all, they're both a series of 0s and 1s. At one point in that file system, at the directory called /host, Linux mounts a different file system. This file system is the partition on which the root.disk file is located. This means that the entire directory tree of your C or D partition is present inside the /host directory in the Linux directory tree, including the file containing the Linux directory tree itself – but not in a readable form, as it contains the raw data instead of a readable directory structure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The host NTFS partition is available with full access (read/write) under /host
    e.g. to find your user documents Windows Vista/7/8 you can go to /host/Users/yourname/Documents
    in Windows XP it would be /host/Documents\ and\ Settings/yourname/My\ Documents

Documentation?: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Ho...dows_drives.3F

Beans

Thanks again everybody!

Beans

I want to mark this thread as Solved but I don't see the command under the Thread Tools drop-down.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast