Thread: mplayer spawning dozens of threads. How to prevent it?

Beans

mplayer spawning dozens of threads. How to prevent it?

I'm not even using mplayer, but several times per day, I notice the computer bogging down. Checking system monitor, I notice a dozen or more "mplayer" threads running. I kill them all, but they come back later. I use vlc to watch a movie now and then, but otherwise I'm not using any video software (that I know of.)

Oh, I do have a logitec usb webcam plugged in, and once or twice a week I run gtk uvc video recorder to record a short video at my desk, in case that is related?

I'm attaching a screen shot of system monitor to show the many mplayer threads.
    Screenshot from 2013-04-19 19:15:38.jpg
    Any ideas on how to stop mplayer from replicating like this and bogging down my computer?

Beans

Re: mplayer spawning dozens of threads. How to prevent it?

In system monitor preferences, choose to show the command line which may give you a hint as to what is actually running.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: mplayer spawning dozens of threads. How to prevent it?

Thanks for the suggestion on system monitor. It looks like each instance was created by a screensaver called electricsheep, which I was running. I changed to one of the standard screensavers, and have not had the problem for several days now since I changed it. I guess the problem lies with that software.