Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a derivative

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Looking for a derivative

I like basically everything about ubuntu, from Unity (yep, unity) to all the ppas that are available. Unfortunately, I just don't feel fine promoting the newer Ubuntu versions, that with the amazon "features". I don't really want to discuss in this thread why I don't like them, and I guess that most people already know what answer to expect.

Anyway, I am looking for a derivative of ubuntu that uses Unity and is basically the same as ubuntu except it does not have Shopping suggestions by default. As 13.04 comes near, it is really tempting to get all the new unity features, specially the fuzzy searching, it is VERY necessary.

If not, any one up to joining an initiative to make such thing?

I really love Unity. After starting to use it last year, and after you get used to it. And after you learn how to customize its theme (possible, but unnecessarily difficult) and of course, you also need to install Menu Libre. But once you do all that, I really think Unity is the best DE for me, or it was before the idea to fill it with "shopping suggestions".
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Re: Looking for a derivative

Install Ubuntu server and install what you want if you like everything about Ubuntu, you can turn off the amazon searches you know.

Beans

Why don't you just uninstall/disable the components you don't like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

One minute after installing Ubuntu 12.10 the shopping results were switched off.
    What is so difficult about that?

Beans

That sounds like a really good idea. Not able to help you but good luck with that. Perhaps writing a script that pulls everything in onto an Ubuntu minimal install would be the way to go. You could just post that online and you wouldn't even need to run a distro. Installing Ubuntu to remove the shopping lens sounds like buying a PC to wipe Windows. I would use this distro if it existed as I I'm not great fan of cinnamon or KDE etc. Not sure about menu libre. Think it would be a much stronger sell if you produce an Ubuntu clone that doesn't include the shopping lens but is otherwise identical.

Beans

Scratch that. You want iQunix.

Could be spyware/malware/adware though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Installing Ubuntu to remove the shopping lens sounds like buying a PC to wipe Windows.
    The shopping lens is one tiny part of the overall Ubuntu install. In fact, changing one setting (I believe it's a dconf key), disables it. Vexorian may as well just roll his own vanilla ubuntu disk which comes with that key swapped over and (optionally) MenuLibre installed. I imagine something like remastersys would be appropriate for the task.

Beans

If I buy a computer with Windows and then wipe Windows, it's still one more Windows licence. However, if I buy pre-installed Linux, it's one licence less and that sends a strong signal to developers, the market, etc. Installing Ubuntu with the shopping lens legitimises its inclusion.

In other words: How do I express yes to Unity and no to the shopping lens?

The OP's distro would be one solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why don't you just uninstall/disable the components you don't like
    It would be fine if all that I wanted was a distro I could use. But I also want a distro to share with other people.

I am days away from actually making such a remix (In fact, I even have fantasies about forking Unity, but they are very deep wet dreams that might never happen), I just want to know if anyone else is actually doing it, so that we don't have to have redundant efforts (Plus as a Bolivian inhabitant my bandwidth options to share ISOs are *really* bad). Let me look about iQunix.

Edit: Seems iQunix is just ubuntu with nothing but gnome preinstalled.

The shopping lens is one tiny part of the overall Ubuntu install
    In size it is. But then again, so is Unity itself. It is easy to uninstall unity and install KDE, for example. But Kubuntu still exists.
    Last edited by vexorian; April 20th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Anyway, I am looking for a derivative of ubuntu that uses Unity and is basically the same as ubuntu except it does not have Shopping suggestions by default.
    I've been very pleased with Kubuntu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast