Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12 help installing off USB stick

Beans

Question Ubuntu 12 help installing off USB stick

Hello everybody, how are you?

I have Ubuntu 12.04 (32-bit) installed on a flash drive. I have a problem with installation.

When I boot in desktop PC - no problem.
    When I boot in laptop - stuck issue.

It gets stuck on the Ubuntu logo with all the dots filled. When I tried to press F6, all looks good except it fails on "stopping cold plug devices".
    The desktop is using the motherboard's graphic card & laptop has a SSD drive.

I'm brand new to Ubuntu so please be precise in hour answers. Thanks
    Last edited by kkoz83; April 25th, 2013 at 04:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12 help installing off USB stick

It seems that is one of many normal shutdown lines. It is shutting down after something else errors? Or is that the only error message.

What video does laptop have. How much RAM? If more than 3GB you probably should use 64bit version, but that probably will not fix your current error.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

That's the only line that fails. I'm not sure on the laptop's video specs (guessing ATI) but 4GBs of RAM & it is an Asus K53Z-BBR3 & new SSD.
    I tried it on my friend's 2 year old Toshiba laptop and it worked without any issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Some with various Asus have posted these comments:

Asus m4a87td core unlocker feature on usb3 was causing the problem
    Asus - Security> I / O interface Security> "New interface card" or so. SET IT TO LOCKED!!!
    In the Asus BIOS I selected Advanced Mode>Advanced>SATA Configuration.
    Changed IDE Mode to AHCI Mode
    Then,when the SATA3G_1 selection appears in the drive list below,select the Enabled option.
    set pci=nomsi or other boot paramter
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for the info. I'll try it within 48 hours.
    Quick ? - the line "Asus - Security> I / O interface Security> "New interface card" or so. SET IT TO LOCKED!!" - is that in BIOS or Windows 7?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I assume that is BIOS. And I would think it should be unlocked, but that is what the OP posted.

Beans

Okay, I'll try ASAP.

Beans

I kept the USB I/O to unlocked (if I "lock" then it disables all USB ports). I did change SATA. All that but no luck.
    So where I had the option to chose "Default, Help, Try..., Install" etc, I pressed "TAB", then typed nosplash noquiet nomoodeset. Then I pressed "Enter" & got it to appear but in a primitive look - like safe mode for Windows. I squeezed Ubuntu to 14GBs & all installed correctly.

Now when I turn the laptop, I see which OS to choose (Ubuntu in spot 0 & Windows 7 in spot 4). After I chose Ubuntu, I heard it "log on" but freezes on all-purple screen.

My question - Do I always need to add "nosplash noquiet nomoodeset" to option while starting Ubuntu? Do I use all 3? What does each do?

Thanks so far!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Nomodeset is a default for video. If having issues I remove splash and quiet as that is what hides the boot process and shows the purple screen & logos. I want to see if boot process stops for any reason. That same info is copied into the demesg log file for later review as it does go by quickly.

Nomodeset is just a basic video usually not good quality. I have nVidia and install the nVidia drivers first thing. AMD has its drivers if a newer card and normally Intel just works, but sometimes needs a default to start. If Optimus you then need Bumblebee.
    Each has different ways to update.

What video card/chip do you have? There are many threads on each if you want to search also.

Beans

I have AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6480G

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast