Thread: Ubuntu is Running Slowly

Beans

Ubuntu is Running Slowly

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't really sure where to put this.

I decided to try out Ubuntu because I heard it was faster than Windows XP, and since I have an old laptop, it was pretty slow (although, I uninstalled some of my old games that I stopped playing halfway through, and it's running faster now.). I downloaded Wubi, and it was set to 18 GB(I only have 42 GB of space available on my hard drive, it holds a total of around 70 GB), and let Ubuntu download overnight.

When I woke up, I found that my laptop had somehow been unplugged, and it had turned off. I turned it back on, selected Ubuntu, and waited while it installed (at least I think that's what it was doing.), and then I logged in. I left for a few minutes while it booted up. When I came back, it was sort of slow at first, but then it was going faster than XP unless I had more than one application open. After that, the speed started to fluctuate, firefox froze a few times, and I had to go on another computer to figure out how to kill a program when it freezes.

When I restarted and went to XP, it was much more stable, and it's average speed was faster, so I'm assuming that it's some sort of compatibility issue, or the way that I installed it.

Here are my system specs (this is all taken from dxdiag):

System Model: Toshiba Sattelite A40(this is strange, because this has never showed up as my system model. I did a google search and that is not my laptop.)
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 1.60GHz
    Memory: 504MB RAM
    Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express

So is Ubuntu not going to run properly on my laptop?

Would I be better off with a different version(I've seen Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. and don't know if any of them would suit my needs better.)? I mainly use this computer for surfing the internet, and playing older games like Baldur's Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and various DOS games through DOSBox. I'm also getting into programming, and now that I'm getting closer to finishing my C# course, I'm starting to think about learning some other programming languages. I plan on getting a career in video game design, and I would like to be able to design games so that they can be played on Ubuntu without having to use a special program to run windows applications. Besides that, from what I've heard, Ubuntu is a good OS for messing around with programming and such, so that could be fun.

What would be the best way to install Ubuntu? I would prefer to keep XP until I test out Wine to make sure all of the programs and games I have will work properly.
    Last edited by VicariousToast; April 21st, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu is Running Slowly

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

You need a flavour of Ubuntu with a lighter foot-print, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS or LXLE. Maybe it will be easier to install Xubuntu from the alternate iso file. See these links

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130640
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2135547
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2125764

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

<snip>
    Last edited by Sef; April 19th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm not sure I understand the post completely. Have you only been using Wubi or also a real install in a dual boot?

Also, please run sudo lshw > lshw.txt and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.
    Last edited by mörgæs; April 19th, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

With that amount of RAM don't use Ubuntu. Xubuntu will work better, you will be able to run a few programs simultaneously, or else Lubuntu.

When XP was still young Ubuntu was much faster, but a modern Ubuntu isn't faster than a ten year old XP. Well, that is when you forget about the virus scanner, that can still make XP slower than Ubuntu.

I never heard of laptops unplugging themselves during the night (would actually be a good way to save energy), but it may have damaged your system while installing updates. You gave it a night to do so, so I assume you don't have a very fast internet connection. Have you checked whether the package manager reports any errors?

Beans

I'm not sure I understand the post completely. Have you only been using Wubi or also a real install in a dual boot?

Also, please run sudo lshw > lshw.txt and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.
    I used Wubi, but I un-installed Ubuntu yesterday because I was told that I needed a lighter version.

...but it may have damaged your system while installing updates. You gave it a night to do so, so I assume you don't have a very fast internet connection.
    My download speed is only 90 kb/s max. It's usually around 70 kb/s unless the internet is being used on another computer. It was midnight by the time I installed it, otherwise it probably could have finished while I was awake.

Have you checked whether the package manager reports any errors?
    No, I have no idea how to do that. I should have mentioned that I'm not too skilled with computers yet.

As soon as I find my blank cd-r discs I will install Xubuntu and see how it works, hopefully I won't have any issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Any system damage is irrelevant if you're reinstalling anyway. Power failures whilst downloading updates shouldn't really harm, the big trouble comes when the installation of updates is interrupted.

Beans

You need to install lubuntu, I have a 1.6 gig tablet that is running lubuntu excellent, ubuntu on it was real slow. The better way to install it would be to put it on its own
    partician. A easy way to partician is with gparted that you can get from distro watch,

Beans

I just finished installing Xubuntu, and it's working great. So far, it's a lot faster than XP, but I'm assuming it will slow down a bit with time like other OSes. Even then, I think it'll still be a lot faster. I also really like the UI.

I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to change the tag to "solved," just in case I start having issues of some sort when I start messing around with things.

Thank you for the help everyone!