Thread: Move Ubuntu (/) to SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Move Ubuntu (/) to SSD

Hi, I've have a dual boot system (Windows and 12.04) and just installed an SSD for the OS's. What is the easiest way to move the Ubuntu OS (/) to the new SSD?

On the old HDD I have a primary partition sdc2 with extended partitions sdc5-7):

/dev/sdc2
    /dev sdc5 - /home (250 GiB)
    /dev sdc6 - / (20 GiB)
    /dev sdc7 - /swap (7.5 GiB)

I also have primary partition /dev/sdc3 (500 MB) which is flagged "boot" (though that might be windows?)

I want to move sdc6 to sda2 (on the SSD) though there is only 19.24 GiB space on it.

Any suggestions? Would it be easier to do a fresh install on the SSD, then link to sdc5 for /home?

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Move Ubuntu (/) to SSD

I think you can boot from another drive, for example your Ubuntu install CD/DVD/USB drive and use rsync to copy the files in the root partition to a partition on the SSD. This works if the target partition is smaller, but there is still space for the files. Run

Code:
     sudo blkid
    Then you need to change the content of /etc/fstab to point to the new root partition's UUID. This needs to be fixed manually also in /boot/grub/grub.cfg, so that grub will find the new location of the root partition. When it does, you can use

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    and create a new /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Edit: I suggest that you also add the mount options noatime,discard to the root partition entry in /etc/fstab
    Last edited by sudodus; April 19th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Move Ubuntu (/) to SSD

While you can use several methods to copy, you have to edit fstab and reinstall grub2's boot loader.

I prefer the clean install option, but use manual install or Something Else and choose to mount existing /home but DO NOT format it.

I actually have /home inside my / (root) on the SSD, but have all files & folders that are my data in data partitions on hard drive and link the data back into /home on SSD. I also move some hidden folders like Firefox & Thunderbird profiles to hard drive so I can easily share with mulitple installs.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.