Thread: Is it possible to connect two i7 computers together to work as one?

Beans

Question Is it possible to connect two i7 computers together to work as one?

Basically what I want to do is to connect my 2 i7 computers so that they can share resources as if they both where one computer!
    Main purpose being video editing and playing chess. (I like to compete in computer chess tournaments online, so the more power the better!)

I have been doing a little research on my own, but I still cant figure out what I need, and how, if even possible to do it?

The only answers I have come to is that I need to connect the computers in some form of a cluster/grid, to make them work together.

Does anyone know if this is even remotely possible, and if so how do I go about accomplishing it?

And if it is possible, can someone please tell me if any program can see all shared resources and take advantage of it, or does it have to be a specific program that is writen just for that purpose?

Anyway, I hope that someone will understan what I am looking for, and can help me!

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Is it possible to connect two i7 computers together to work as one?

Simply, no.

You can run things on a remote computer easily enough using SSH. Thin clients are nothing new. But setting up a compute cluster is really quite tricky and isn't worth it for two nodes.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Simply, no.

You can run things on a remote computer easily enough using SSH. Thin clients are nothing new. But setting up a compute cluster is really quite tricky and isn't worth it for two nodes.
    Well, I have to start somewhere, and those 2 computers is what I have to work with right now, now if this is doable (and I really want to learn) then I will for sure get more then 2 nodes!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The phrase you're looking for, then, is high-performance computing. Although most implementations tend to be custom jobs there might be sufficient information on a particular project to let you follow what they've done. I doubt it will be as simple as just installing a package, though.

I do recall reading about someone making a cluster out of Raspberry Pis fairly recently. The home-brew nature of that project might mean that there's some information available.
    Last edited by CatKiller; April 19th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by branko.savic View Post
    Well, I have to start somewhere, and those 2 computers is what I have to work with right now, now if this is doable (and I really want to learn) then I will for sure get more then 2 nodes!
    What you need is one of these.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2136079

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linux cluster was developed long before cloud became a popular term. https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/linux_clusters/

Or web search "linux cluster".
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    Linux cluster was developed long before cloud became a popular term. https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/linux_clusters/

Or web search "linux cluster".
    Very interesting read, but I am interested to get this working on a much smaller scale
    Is there a simple guide or something to follow on how to get this going in a small network of 2+ computers?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

benefiting from a cluster setup takes some special types of work, this is due to the latency and transfer speeds on a network
    here is a old ubuntu cluster guide:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyUbuntuCl...edClusterGuide
    you could use 2 i7s in one computer with a extremely high end motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131817
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included
    I frequently edit my post several times when I have the last post
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server