Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Unity and keeping Gnome Shell 3.8

Beans

Removing Unity and keeping Gnome Shell 3.8

Hi, I have 13.04 updated. it is the unity version with Gnome 3.8 added via ppa. I want to remove Unity and it's dependencies (compiz, nux, etc.) while retaining Gnome 3.8 and apps without breaking anything. Please help.
    If that's not possible, how do I get a Ubuntu-Gnome while retaining Gnome 3.8 and without Unity? Is there a psychocats like command?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Removing Unity and keeping Gnome Shell 3.8

Why not just install Raring using the Ubuntu Gnome iso, available here.

Beans

I've been using this as my primary install and have a lot of stuff going on, data saved here and there, and my browsers properly set up. So I would rather not do a clean install, if possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge compiz compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-plugins-default compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 libunity-webapps0 python-compizconfig unity unity-asset-pool unity-lens-* unity-scope-* unity-services unity-webapps-* xul-ext-unity libnux-4.0-0 libnux-4.0-common nux-tools
    If you're not sure, use sudo apt-get -s purge to do simulation.
    Last edited by serdotlinecho; April 20th, 2013 at 05:22 AM.

Beans

If you have big enough HDD/SDD don't bother it doesn't take much disk space and your PC wont work any faster if you remove Unity.

Beans

You could reinstall but not format the /home partition (assuming you do have a separate /home). Just get rid of the hidden folders you don't need to retain.

Beans

Better yet and recommended for any ubuntu installation is to start with nothing, use the server ISO and build what you want and add what you need, this way you get what you want in your system and nothing you don't.
    Plus I find Ubuntu's installer seriously buggy...(I literally have to UPDATE the installer before I can install ubuntu, that's just ridiculous!!)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    You could reinstall but not format the /home partition (assuming you do have a separate /home). Just get rid of the hidden folders you don't need to retain.
    Yes but keep the hidden .* files as they contain the config for ex. thunderbird's received mails and config/settings.-

Beans

Thanks. I was able to uninstall unity and keep Gnome. Actually I wanted to remove unity and extra fluff because I'm on a slow internet connection (700kbps-1Mbps) and the updates and upgrades can take some time to do. It didn't make too much difference but the command posted in the thread did work. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

so you want 13.04 gnome,here it goes:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell (choose gdm)
    sudo reboot (at login choose gnome)
    sudo apt-get purge unity*
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo reboot

be aware,unity will be gone for good and gnome shell will be 3.6,believe me there is no difference between 3.6 and 3.8
    no it's not the same using 13.04 gnome shell remix,they still use old apps like evolution mail and the look is ugly
    doing this way you still keep the look and feel of the latest 13.04 and the beautiful themes,remember dconf-editor it's your best friend
    now if you want to clean some of the clutter,eliminate a bunch of apps that are at least useless for me,here you go:

sudo apt-get purge aisleriot* baobab* empathy* gnome-games-data* gnome-mines* gnome-disk-utility* gnome-mahjongg* gnome-sudoku* gwibber* deja-dup* onboard* overlay-scrollbar* gnome-orca* remmina* rhythmbox* shotwell* usb-creator* ubuntuone* software-center* xdiagnose* xterm* && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

here are some pics of my Ubuntu 13.04 Gnome Shell Edition my way,hehehehe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (32.9 KB, 43 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (27.7 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (66.6 KB, 36 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (16.4 KB, 33 views)
    • File Type: png 5.png (108.1 KB, 37 views)
    Last edited by kuvanito; April 21st, 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast