Thread: Weird ethernet cable, mouse, and keyboard glitch.

Beans

Angry Weird ethernet cable, mouse, and keyboard glitch.

I Have a friend, he lives in florida, and I am in KY. Currently I talk him through whatever problems he is having over the phone. I have a new respect for IT workers.
    Alright so here is the problem we are having, we got his computer built and everything working, uefi booted up just fine and ubuntu was installed and it was great. Mouse and Keyboard both worked fine and I thought alright sweet lets get this bad boy hooked up to the internet. So he powers down moves into the living room. Everything checks out. He boots just fine then the next thing I know he is freaking out because his mouse and board stop working and all he has done was plug in an ethernet cord. He tried every usb port available and nada nothing was working so he tried a soft reboot using the power button, it went through its phases and shut down. Then he started up now same story as last time. so a hard power cycle is in order and now he said something about the grub loader is coming up. He is a wee bit stressed and any and all help would be much appreciated. Thank you guys!

Beans

Re: [Helping a freind]Weird ethernet cable, mouse, and keyboard glitch.

Are you sure this isn't a hardware based problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I respect your friendship, but it will prove impossible to diagnose any problem in this third-hand roundabout way. Example: what error messages come up during boot? If system falls to grub loader, then it cannot find the kernel, but is this from corrupted partition table or kernel file? Was there a static discharge when plugging in ethernet?

At any rate, under the circumstances, your friend is best advised to do a reinstall at this point. It's a new install, so he clearly doesn't have any important data invested in it right now. You are acting as a middleman in a multi-terminus support effort that spans half a continent and requires you to translate instructions from written to spoken and back again. This simply won't work. I advise your friend to get on this forum directly and we may have a better chance to help him.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just let me jump.

Beans

I have told him to come this way, he thought that it was a surge in power, but anything that powerful would've also killed the motherboard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All the powering up/down might have caused some corruption. Because I can't remember how to interrupt the boot-up process, I would unplug the hard drive and power up. It would be interesting to know if the mouse/keyboard work on BIOS screen.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net