Thread: Is there any trade program like MetaTrader for GNU/Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Angry Is there any trade program like MetaTrader for GNU/Linux?

Is there any trader program like MetaTrader for GNU/Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is there any trade program like MetaTrader for GNU/Linux?

Are you asking about the MetaTrader server program the broker runs or the client software the broker's customer runs?

The MetaTrader client software must be supported by the broker. If you are a customer, ask your broker what other Linux clients they support.

If you are only looking for stock charting, you can get similar charting capabilities of MetaTrader using a Linux program; such as, QTstalker. QTstalker does not allow you to place orders with your broker using the application nor does it provide real-time streaming of prices. You have to update the stock data periodically from one of the data sources and some sources only update their data at the end of the trading day. The stock market you trade in may not offer stock data that QTstalker can access.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; April 19th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before updating, upgrading, or partitioning.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    Are you asking about the MetaTrader server program the broker runs or the client software the broker's customer runs?

The MetaTrader client software must be supported by the broker. If you are a customer, ask your broker what other Linux clients they support.

If you are only looking for stock charting, you can get similar charting capabilities of MetaTrader using a Linux program; such as, QTstalker. QTstalker does not allow you to place orders with your broker using the application nor does it provide real-time streaming of prices. You have to update the stock data periodically from one of the data sources and some sources only update their data at the end of the trading day. The stock market you trade in may not offer stock data that QTstalker can access.
    Hi
    I`m looking for a program that able me to follow the real-time streaming of prices and let me analyze charts
    I don`t want to trade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MustafaJF View Post
    Hi
    I`m looking for a program that able me to follow the real-time streaming of prices and let me analyze charts
    I don`t want to trade.
    Real-time streaming is tough, because most services charge money for real time feeds.

If you just want to analyse charts, Yahoo and Google's websites are surprisingly capable. QTStalker is ok, but I prefer broker tools or websites. The R programming language + RStudio is a great tool, but requires some programming know-how and work on your part. But you can scrape information from websites, and make charts and analyse them pretty easily.

Beans

Merchant of Venice for example. There are many.
    http://mov.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro

Thanks everybody
    I'll try Venice and QTstalker out
    They sound great

Beans

Not exactly, but it is possible to run MetaTrader 4 in Linux.
    All you have to do is install WINE and then install MT4.[

Quote Originally Posted by woxuxow View Post
    Is there any trader program like MetaTrader for GNU/Linux?
    Last edited by lisati; May 24th, 2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag