Thread: Intel GPU lockup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Intel GPU lockup

I'm running a clean install of 12.04.02 (i.e., direct from the 12.04.02 install disk, not upgraded from 12.04.01). All packages are up to date. My hardware includes a Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3 with a Sandy Bridge Celeron, and I'm using the on-board Intel HD graphics.

I keep getting GPU lockups. They're not the "false" ones often reported. The error message (copied by hand because Apport won't let me copy from the UI) is:

Code:
    [sandybridge-gt1] GPU lockup IPEHR: 0x23002000 IPEHR: 0x0b140001
    Under "package", it says "xserver-xorg-video-intel (not installed)". Further down, it tells me to upgrade or install that package. But when I try to do so, I get this error:

Code:
    kevin@aphrodite:~$ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel
    [sudo] password for kevin: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     xserver-xorg-video-intel : Depends: xorg-video-abi-11
                                Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.10.99.901)
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    I don't understand what that means, or why I'm getting a crash report from a package that isn't even installed. What should I do next?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Intel GPU lockup

Hi

Try upgrading you kernel.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Download and install one of the debs (3.8 kernel or some such). That has fixed it for some people.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro

Hrm. It doesn't seem very prudent to force a release n system to upgrade its kernel to a version packaged for release n + 2. If I start doing things like this, it will defeat the purpose of using a LTS version.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by kjkrum View Post
    Hrm. It doesn't seem very prudent to force a release n system to upgrade its kernel to a version packaged for release n + 2. If I start doing things like this, it will defeat the purpose of using a LTS version.
    Agreed. It's an issue that has affected sandybridge with intel graphics.

It has fixed the issue for some people though. Better to have a working system with a working kernel.

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro

Has it been decided that this will never be fixed in LTS? And would it cease to be a problem if I got a discrete video card, as I plan to do anyway?

With Apport running, it's reduced from a fatal crash to a moderate annoyance. So I can live with it if it's eventually going to be fixed, or an upgrade will avoid it. I'd rather preserve the integrity of my LTS system.

Beans
    Distro

Hi
    Has it been decided that this will never be fixed in LTS?
    No idea. I would hope so as it's affected a number of users They are aware of it and say it may be back ported (assuming this is the same issue you face) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1159255
    And would it cease to be a problem if I got a discrete video card, as I plan to do anyway?
    As far as i'm aware. Make sure it's Linux compatible. Kind regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I had the same issue on my work laptop with 12.10. I haven't tried upgrading the kernel, but booting the older 3.5.0-17-generic kernel has fixed the lockups for me.
    "I was dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long after you're dead."

Beans
    Distro

I seem to have fixed this. I've gone two days without a crash or Apport message, where before I would usually get several errors within minutes of logging in. *knocks wood*

To install xserver-xorg-video-intel, I explicitly installed xorg-video-abi-11. This caused a large number of packages with "-lts-quantal" in their names to be uninstalled. I have no idea when or why those packages were installed. I was then able to install xserver-xorg-video-intel.

I rebooted and found that I had no X server at all! I installed xserver-xorg from the console and rebooted again. Now everything seems to be operating normally.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I seem to have fixed this. I've gone two days without a crash or Apport message, where before I would usually get several errors within minutes of logging in. *knocks wood*

To install xserver-xorg-video-intel, I explicitly installed xorg-video-abi-11. This caused a large number of packages with "-lts-quantal" in their names to be uninstalled. I have no idea when or why those packages were installed. I was then able to install xserver-xorg-video-intel.

I rebooted and found that I had no X server at all! I installed xserver-xorg from the console and rebooted again. Now everything seems to be operating normally.
    Thanks for posting back with this information. I'll do some search and see if this is a better work around than upgrading the kernel.

It's been a while since i looked to see what is the best way to handle this bug as it's not an issue that has affected me. I only get a certain amount of time to keep up with the big bugs in Ubuntu.

If you get the issue again then please post back and update this thread.

Kind regards

Beans
    Distro

Since my last comment about two weeks ago, I experienced only one crash. Previously they occurred several times an hour. I updated my kernel a couple days ago, so I guess the experiment is over. I'm now running kernel 3.5.0-28-generic #48.