Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite programming language to use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What is your favorite programming language to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    C or Python, depending on the task. I am too old to program "for fun" anymore.
    Heh. And I'm too old to program for a living. So I have to do it for fun.

Python. Closest thing there is to a language for geezers.

Beans

I think the language I'm most productive with nowadays is Dart. I know it's not a language for native application programming on Ubuntu, but you can write web apps with it which work on any modern webbrowser. I'm much more productive in it than in any other browser language or technology I've tried (vanilla Javascript, JQuery, Java applets, etc.). An example would be, I recently wrote an implementation of merge sort in Dart as a demonstration for a friend. I didn't check my code once during programming and when I clicked 'run' it worked perfectly first time. I really can't imagine me programming something like that in Java or Javascript without making a mistake somewhere.

Well worth trying.

Apart from that, for stuff which has to run fast where you need lots of control, Go seems to be C or C++ done right. We know more about programming languages than we did 40 years ago and Go incorporates some of these advances. Implicit interfaces are wonderful
    Last edited by ehrt74; April 20th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    Heh. And I'm too old to program for a living. So I have to do it for fun.
    Oh don't worry, I don't program for a living either, heaven forbid.

When I say I don't program for fun anymore, the keyword is "program", not "for fun".
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Perl, because of CPAN, the world largest collection of free software.
    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

Programming is as much about organization and communication as it is about coding.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    For me it's Java.
    Java is Object Oriented and has an extraordinary strength when it comes to programming style and structure, runs everywhere because it's compiled into byte-code which is interpreted by the Java Virtual Machine allowing for code compiled on any operating system like Linux to be executed on any other operating system like Windows or Mac. Any machine that can run a Java Virtual Machine can run Java.
    what you say is right and true, but also python (that's my preferred programming language) works fine on Windows, Mac and Linux: you just have to avoid to use specific modules (or, in Java, specific APIs).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My favorites for the moment has to be Python and HTML5.
    My Open Source Blog http://peterahlgren.com

Beans
    Distro

In addition to what I wrote in my previous post, I wish to say that I like also ruby, even if it has less online documentation than python.

Common Lisp, previously I used to code in Python and learned C at school. The CL community is incredibly helpful and approachable, as well as being great hackers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alan9800 View Post
    what you say is right and true, but also python (that's my preferred programming language) works fine on Windows, Mac and Linux: you just have to avoid to use specific modules (or, in Java, specific APIs).
    You're right.
    But for me, Java came as an imposition of the public administration for whom I work and it's been a few years dealing exclusively with Java and PL/SQL.
    Before that, I used to work with .Net and C#.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    Could we add a bonus question, "How many languages do you know in total?" I edited my post. (No need to go listing them all, I don't think.)
    I did a quick round-up recently and found I programmed stuff using 28 different languages (from programmable calculators (HP29C (*)) to JavaScript, through several assemblers and the usual crop of mainstream languages (C/C++/Python...) and some more specialized things (PostScript, DCF). But this also includes several languages with which I merely tinkered existing code (VisualBasic), so that should make roughly 20 languages I got proficient in.

(*) Yes, it all started in 1977... because I don't count the toy programmable logic board as a "language"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast